Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Season Antlerless Tag Filled

avidhunter

752antlerlesstag.JPG

I was fortunate enough to harvest this deer on the first morning hunt. 50 yd broadside, double-lung shot.

Unfortunately, as you might discern from my new quote in bold below, I later had a major snafu when my 777 powder failed to ignite. I had what should have been an easy <100 yd broadside shot at a monster 12pt+ B&C buck, with dark antlers... blake can attest to this.

After filling my antlerless tag, I noticed what I thought was a very small amount of snow in the muzzle, surely not enough to foul up my powder with a super hot 209 primer... boy was I wrong. Lesson learned: always run a patch before reloading, and always make sure your powder is dry
crazy.gif

I just hope he is still around next year
waytogo.gif

Re: Late Season Antlerless Tag Filled & B/C buck snafu

Sorry to hear about your sanfu... but congrats on the doe harvest.

Congrats,better luck on the buck next year.

I can sympathize on the snow in the barrel. After tagging my last doe of the season over the weekend, I slipped walking out and got a small amount in the barrel as well. Although it didn't cost me a deer, when I pulled the breech plug to unload and clean the gun, the Pyrodex pellets had the consistency of Jello. I wouldn't have thought it would be this bad either.

Congrats on the doe!

NWBuck

That's a nice looking doe! Congrats! To bad to hear about your misfortunate incident w/ the monster buck though....atleast you'll have a chance at him next year, and this time he'll be bigger!

Congrats,

-sureshot1

Avidhunter,

First off I want to congratulate you on your antlerless deer harvest. And I will also say that you stuck with deer hunting during this ML in some very nasty weather conditions.

As you mentioned I can attest to the fact that you had a wet powder problem once this year. I was hunting approximately 350 yards from Josh when I heard what I thought was a .22 cal rifle shot. I later found out that it was his 209 primer going off. Very unfortunate, but I venture to say that it has happened to most of us at one time or another.

I saw the buck that Josh was attempting to harvest several evenings later. Man this buck is a beauty, I watched him for 20 minutes thru my spotting scope at 300 yards. Main frame 6x6 with some stickers, very dark chocolate antlers, estimation of score would be in the 180+ range.

As you say Josh, there is always next year. And I bet we do several things different, what do you think? It was a pleasure for me hunting with you both in bow and ML season this year.
smile.gif

Top Bottom