Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

"Lesser Expensive" No-Till Drills???

2-bucks

PMA Member
Don't beat me up here! I don't have the funds for the good no till drills, nor the size tractor to pick them up (I want a 3 point due to small plots and access). Has anyone had luck with Kasco Versa or Tar River Saya no-till drills? These run $4000 - $6,000. I only plant about 4 acres of food plots a year, so they would not get used heavily. I plant everything from beans to clover.

I could hardly afford a harrow when I started!!!
If u patient - u might find a good old used one at auction or something. I got a 5’ tye drill for like $500 a while back. Bet u find good old used one for few grand if u took time to shop.
Not sure on above & look forward to feedback as well.
Another option- get minimal till drill with 2 boxes. Cheap as dirt. Old and “look junky” but solid & simple. If I did that- I’d buy a 4 row for corn & beans. That’s actually a solid combo.

I could hardly afford a harrow when I started!!!
If u patient - u might find a good old used one at auction or something. I got a 5’ tye drill for like $500 a while back. Bet u find good old used one for few grand if u took time to shop.
Not sure on above & look forward to feedback as well.
Another option- get minimal till drill with 2 boxes. Cheap as dirt. Old and “look junky” but solid & simple. If I did that- I’d buy a 4 row for corn & beans. That’s actually a solid combo.
Thinking outside the box here. Get something like a JD7000 4 row that has granular fertilizer boxes, have a drop tube come out of the fertilizer box with a Y or fan shape spreader to dump small seed on top of the ground instead of fertilizer? No tube at all and let it wind drift from the box to the ground? If you had some debris on top, old dead grass or something that some of the seed might roll under for moisture retention? One system to do both corn/beans and small seed? Not sure how big your tractor is.

I bought a woods seeder this summer for 7900. Not a no till drill, but kind of a happy medium. I bought it mostly for seeding waterways, but will do some foodplot work also.
20240621_170331.jpg

I bought a woods seeder this summer for 7900. Not a no till drill, but kind of a happy medium. I bought it mostly for seeding waterways, but will do some foodplot work also.View attachment 128198
I have one of those too. It works pretty good!

It can be run with the disks straight for minimal soil disturbance.

Heave planted oats/peas/rye, summer release and fall release through the big box. Small box has planted a lot of clover as well as small seed brassicas.

I don’t know details but a buddy of mine uses the Kasco and seems to have good luck with it.

I had a Marliss grain drill I found at an auction cheap. The IH1066 diesel grunted to lift it. I used it to convert from CRP to ag. I used the “hula hoop” method to determine seeding rates. How many beans was it dropping within a hula hoop. Very crude for someone farming but got the job done.

While using it, a shed punctured a rear tire of the 1066 and I called a guy who did in field tire repair. His hydraulics groaned to get the tractor up to fix the tire. When I sold the drill, the buyer tried to negotiate but i stated I was selling at scrap iron price. I used it for beans and seeding alfalfa.

Sometimes, on a budget, you find ways to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habitat-talk has a long thread on the Tar River drills, might help you decide.....

Full disclosure, I've never used a tar river. I did, however, look at them before buying genesis. My conclusion at the time was it would take me 5 minutes to break it. Appeared to be very cheaply built.

Lots of cheaper older pull behind drills out there, been in operation a long time. Much better built than any of these new chinavirus drills.

Every once in a while there's a used Genesis 3 for a few more bucks out there.

Top Bottom