Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Loess Hills

H

hunter_11

Hi. I was wondering if anybody could supply me with some information about the Loess Hills. I am thinking of going up there to turkey hunt during second spring season. I've heard that there is a lot of public hunting also. I would be going east of Blencoe in the state owned land there. I was also wondering if that area takes a lot of hunting pressure or not. Any answers would be helpful. Thanks

...I haven't hunted over there - yet...I have been told you can get a map of the state owned areas from the Loess Hills Visitor Center (I think it is in Pisgah)...in my trips through the hills, and talking to friends that have hunted out there, it seems that turkeys are pretty well spread out and they like to use wide open areas in the spring...good luck...

Thanks for your input. I wish myself good luck! This will be my first year of turkey hunting, and I know I'll make some mistakes, but hopefully i can still bag a gobbler and have a safe hunt. I dont know about the hunting pressure there yet but im sure its fairly high

There is a lot of turkeys and a lot of hunters especially in the 2nd season. Although you should be able to take a turkey. You will need to concetrate more on hunting in the later morning and noon time. I have taken far more turkeys at that time then right off the roost, but both of the times can be very rewarding. The Preperation Canyon area gets hit hard but not all of it. Some areas require a pretty good walk to some prime turkey areas. I have been down there and listened to atleast 50 birds gobbling on a good morning. To me that is worth a lot. Good Luck!

Haven't turkey hunted there, but grew up in Onawa, have spent a lot of time roaming the hills deer hunting and keep in touch with some hometown hunters. If you can still find it on a map, the area around Ticonnic (northwest of Turin about 8 miles) in the Loess Hills Wildlife area was one of the first stocking areas and has always had birds. Sylvan Runkel Preserve is in this area as well.
Area has mix of timber and prairie so lots of good edges. I think they even tried restoring prairie chickens in this area so that may be a bonus to see/hear one of them on the lek.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Threebeards

Question, does anyone have the address were one can send in and get a map of public hunting areas for the Loess Hills? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

All of my past turkey hunting experiences have taken place in the Loess Hills. The birds there, in many areas, are very abundant. I have had great success locating toms by sending out a few tree yelps, the first turkey sound heard in the morning. It is a slow, soft, nasal sound, made of 3 or 4 yelps. It is made only at daybreak from the roost. Many times the toms/jakes will respond to this with a gobble and depending on your hunting area, you can often stalk the birds, getting relativly close to where they're located. But anyways, good luck to you this season!

Top Bottom