Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Manipulation at its Finest

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
Manipulation at it’s Finest
By Thomas Allen

It’s true that a strategically placed deer stand will kill deer, but more often than not, the whitetails get the upper hand. No humble bow hunter would argue that. I’ve had my share of blunders, and embarrassing mistakes, so I take every advantage I can get. I’ll be the first one to admit that I take way too much stuff with me to the timber. Extra gloves, a stocking hat, two extra face masks, a screw-in step, pruners, cough muffler, a bag full of spilled scents and an additional jacket in case the two that I am already wearing aren’t enough. On top of that, I have one section in my pack solely devoted to the six to seven calls I tote along. Overkill? That depends on who you ask.
Over twenty years ago the first grunt tube hit the market. The reaction was mixed, some loved it, and others felt it was cheating. One thing was for sure, calling proved to be a very effective method for luring deer in to your personal bubble for that final shot. Today, along with a grunt tube, many of the other calling contraptions are apart of every serous hunters arsenal. I started hunting after calls were introduced, so I don’t know hunting without them. Using a buck’s sexual frustration against him, and manipulating his intellect is down right fun. Of course we all know it doesn’t always go according to plan.
With so many manufacturers out there, picking the best company can be a bit of a struggle. Big names such as M.A.D., Hunters Specialties, Primos and Knight and Hale, are companies that love to hunt and live for the outdoor experience, so they produce quality equipment. In many situations one company makes a type of call that another doesn’t have available, so getting what you need is essential, but being selective is a good approach. Who is right for you? That is a decision you will have to make for yourself.
At certain times of the year calling deer can be what gives you the opportunity to peel the adhesive cover from the back of your tag. Hopefully over the next few minutes you will have a better idea on what to use, when and where.

Grunt Calls
Grunt calls have been around since calling got popular, and there isn’t a manufacturer that doesn’t produce them. When selecting a call, you’ll want to find one that best replicates the size and shape of a mature buck’s throat. Diameter and texture are essential to the sound. Today grunt tubes are much more versatile than in the past. Generally all you have to do is remove the mouth piece and adjust the O-ring to get the tone you are looking for. Some companies have even taken it a step further by making a call available that you can press down on the reed with your finger to change the pitch. Without over exaggerating movement you can make him think there are several deer by your set up, thus building his curiosity enough to coax him in those few extra yards.
Now let’s address the issue of when to pull that “weapon” out of your pack. Deer are a social creature, meaning they tend to like the company of other deer. All year deer are vocal and use this ability to locate each other or let the other deer in the vicinity know how they are feeling. Calling can be an effective tactic, especially during the seeking and chasing phases. October through mid November is the best time to call. Yes, there are other times when it also works well, but through my experiences, those time frames can really produce some exciting results.
If you are watching a buck cruise a rub or scrape line, but he just won’t commit to the trail that leads past your stand. Give him a couple soft grunts and get ready for action. During the chase phase, mature bucks are loners, and don’t particularly enjoy the company of other sub-dominant bucks. When he hears another buck in his area, he is very inclined to check it out and display his dominance.
Other times using a grunt call may be all it takes to calm down an alarmed buck. I haven’t found grunting at does to be all that effective, but on occasion a hot doe may respond positively. As with any thing in this game, experience is the best educator, and nothing is guaranteed

Doe Calls and Estrus Bleats
Many times during the rut, bucks will not respond to a grunt call or rattling, calling to the does may change the outcome of the situation. When on stand, how often do you see a doe all by herself? Using a doe grunt, which is a higher pitch call, can really lure them in close range. That in it’s self may produce a buck. Bucks of any caliber will consistently monitor a does condition, waiting for any sign that she is willing to breed. When she is hours away for coming into heat, a dominant buck will usually move in and run off the smaller bucks. During this time in the woods a bleat call can be deadly for two reasons. First, a doe will respond to a bleat because it means another doe is in the area, so she may head your way with a buck in tow. Second, when a buck is frustrated from being run off by larger, more dominant bucks he may be more willing to go for a “gimmie”. If you see a buck cruising by himself, this is the time to pull out “The Can”. Most times he will respond.
This little call is so effective, I have had results as early as September and as late as the last day of the season. I use a bleat can more often than my grunt call. An example of this would be during a hunt I was apart of in North Dakota. The season opens either the last weekend of August or the first of September. I was on stand during the start of the second week of the season and the deer were really responding to calling. Every time I sat in my stand I called does, bucks and fawns into bow range. I finally connected with a beautiful 120” eight pointer. Like all the other deer I had seen that week, he was very interested in the estrus call. He came from over two hundred yards to check it out. All through the deer season this call has produced encounters for me, at home or out of state. I won’t leave the pick-up without one.

Time Specific Calls
There are calls that can be as deadly as the next, but are really only productive at certain times of the year. One call in particular that has become really popular over the past few years is the Snort-Wheeze. M.A.D. Calls produces a hand held tube that aids in producing a realistic snort-wheeze. And new this year, H.S. has come out with one called the EEZE WHEEZE, and produces realistic sounds that will attract rutted up bucks.
This sound that angry bucks make means aggression is about to be displayed. When bucks are about to engage in a fight, a snort-wheeze is usually heard. In deer language this means “That’s it, I’ve had it, I’m gonna punch you in the face”. If a buck is cruising by himself and is ignoring all your calls, try a snort-wheeze. Many times that will be all it takes to push him over the edge into an aggressive mood, and he will head your way to check it out. A snort-wheeze is really affective again during the seeking and chasing phase. During this time there is a lot of competition and fights break out on a regular basis. During a rattling sequence, implement a snort-wheeze and you will add some realism to the fight. Again this call may work other times of the year, but it really shines at certain times.
The newest call on the market, and could prove to be one of the most effective calls in your bag is “The Buck Growler”. M.A.D. Calls, owned and operated by Mark and Terry Drury, has produced the first ‘new’ deer call in years. What this call simulates is a sexually frustrated buck chasing a doe that won’t submit. Also when the competition with other bucks is getting too intense he will ex-hale powerfully, producing the growl. This is to warn other bucks of his growing intolerance of their presence. Ideally during the peak of seeking and chasing phases is when this call will really produce. With this call comes a demo DVD that illustrates when and how to use it. You will be surprised at the results already documented by the Drury Team.
This call’s main strength is to produce the growl, which it does very effectively, but it also makes realistic clicks and pops that a buck chasing a hot doe will produce. Another nice aspect is when the wind is too strong to let your regular grunt carry; the Buck Growler will make loud grunts that will cut through the breeze while maintaining the realistic sounds of an actual buck. This tool will be apart of every hunters pack who lives for manipulating a rutting buck.

Rattling
Simulating a fight between two dominant whitetails could be the most exciting way to attract bucks. Not much in life compares the rush you get from having a huge buck come busting in on your set up after a rattling sequence. Being stuck in your stand after an unannounced appearance by a monster will leave you glad you have your safety harness on. With the antlers still in your hand and your bow still swinging from the hook above your head, you can be overcome with a crazy feeling of helplessness. Movement of any type will blow the whole situation, so you just sit motionless in your stand and smile knowing you have just succeeded in manipulating one of the craftiest animals in North America. As he walks out of range without offering you an opportunity you reflect on what just happened and try to get your heart rate down so you can stand up. The intensity of that situation cannot be reproduced in words, but ultimately that is why we do this.
What works best to rattle with? There are many different styles of rattling gear. First there are real, genuine antlers that you either acquired from a deer you shot personally, or from a head the neighbors dog drug up in the spring. Shed antlers are also a great option if you would rather preserve the head you harvested last year. Synthetic antlers are also an option to investigate. These look, feel and sound like the real thing, and are a great option for the hunter who cares too deeply for his actual antler collection to make them tools. Rattle bags are another option, made with several small wooden or synthetic dowel rods. When they are mashed between your hands they replicate very accurately the sound of clashing antlers. These are great for the hunter who takes only the bare minimum; they are small, compact and fit in almost any pocket.
Bow hunters have it good here in Iowa. They get the opportunity to hunt the entire pre-rut and rut phases without much competition. This gives us a chance to try out many of the tactics we have discussed. Crashing the horns together in November is attempted every year by hunters across the state. Success is experienced all the time, but believe it or not many hunters loose the opportunity to see the giant they have been perusing for years because of carelessness.
Yes, the act of rattling itself can be careless, by just blindly banging the horns together, an approaching buck you hadn’t noticed yet may spook. Going through a specific rattling sequence will greatly improve your odds of bringing the hurt to Mr. Big. When I say specific rattling sequence, I mean just that. Develop a list of steps that you will continually follow every time.
I am going to walk you through the steps I use in performing a simulated whitetail buck fight using all the calls acquired over the years. You are replicating something that is taking place for a reason. The fight happens because there is a hot doe in the area and two bucks are locking up in battle, the winner takes her home.
I start a sequence with some estrus bleating. I use the Primos “Easy Estrous Can”. I may use this call for several minutes. The bleating starts out soft and then grows in intensity. I then implement a few soft grunts with some clicking or popping, making this last for several minutes. Many times this portion of the sequence will produce a buck without even touching the horns together. If not, continue on.
Having a grunt tube that can be adjusted by the press of a finger is an excellent choice in this situation. Throw in a grunt with a different tone to make it seem as though a challenging buck has showed up at the scene. At this point I will usually put the can in my pocket and concentrate on the buck interaction. This would be a great time to include a growl, with some excited grunting. Scraping the tree you are in with your rattling antlers will add some realism as well. Excessive movement can become an issue, making it imperative for the hunter to pay close attention and watch for an approaching audience.
If there are no visitors in sight, it is time to begin the fight. Prior to actually clashing the horns together I add a snort-wheeze to indicate a final warning for the intruder. Let the fighting commence. If you have ever witnessed a fight in the wild, you realize the deer aren’t concerned with being quiet. Neither should you. It is impossible to exactly replicate an actual fight, so hold nothing back. Make this last for about one minute or two at the longest.
Post rattling vocalizations are a very important aspect to your sequence. Throw another snort-wheeze in immediately after you are done rattling. Then bring things down to a “dull roar”. A few bleats and some soft tending grunts will work well.
If you haven’t pulled a buck in yet, don’t worry, the rodeo ain’t over. It has been known to occasionally take mature bucks an hour or more to respond to rattling. That being said, you should wait at least an hour and a half before repeating the sequence. If I am spending the entire day on stand I will only perform a rattling sequence four times. Some intermittent calling is usually ok, but don’t over do the rattling.
I prefer real antlers to rattle with, mainly because I have confidence in them based on my past experience, so whatever you have experienced success with make sure you have it with you. I keep a rattle bag in my right cargo pocket in case I have a buck hang up out of bow range. I can reach down and crack it together once to regain his attention, without spooking him with additional movement reaching for the rattling antlers.

Blind Calling
Blind calling is a technique that is often overlooked but proven to be very successful when approached correctly. There may be deer traveling out of your line of sight but within earshot of your set up with no intention of heading your way. Don’t be afraid to occasionally grunt or bleat spontaneously. Hunters who choose not to blind call will not have as many encounters as those to do. If you haven’t tried it, give it a shot this year, you maybe surprised with the results.

Decoy Applications
Starting the third week of October and going through the end of November, I don’t go to the woods without a deer decoy. Not only is it tons of fun to witness buck/decoy interactions, it also can be a very handy tool when playing the calling game. Having a decoy in your set up will give the approaching buck something to focus his attention on, instead of trying to locate what it was he heard, then eventually loosing interest and retreating.
Try to use an area that is open, and allows a buck to see the decoy so it doesn’t startle the approaching buck. Set the decoy up as a subordinate buck in an aggressive pose. Place it 15 to 20 yards out and have it facing you because bucks always show their broad side to the face of a potential foe. Positioning your decoy in this manner will aid in providing a less than twenty yard shot. Facing the decoy in a different direction may result in poor shot opportunities and spooking your dream buck. Make sure a disciplined scent control system is in place while handling the decoy. While nothing is guaranteed, a decoy will only spice things up.

Conclusion
Like I said before, deer can be killed without using calls. It’s accomplished every year, but adding a call or four or five to your arsenal will greatly enhance your quest for a giant. Calling allows you to encourage movement in a pattern that you want to see. It also gives you an opportunity to experience a part of nature that not everybody gets to witness. Try some new tactics in the fall woods this season and enjoy manipulating North America’s most elusive big game animal. This is whitetail hunting at its best.

Live It Up!

(Courtesy of The Iowa Sportsman, September 2006 The Iowa Sportsman )

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom