Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Messed up

I still think this deer is dead with the deer bedding like you mentioned . The bear adds a variable I’m not familiar with. Just looking in a quick search they will cache their find. I know how hard they are to find in the open . Often times closer than you think. Hopeful you still get closing in this.
I know a couple years ago my daughter shot a giant I knew she killed. It died in a large snake grass patch. You had to be on the trail it died on to see it. This was October and the tree canopy was still full I thought about a drone, but I thought it would be of no use because the timber was still thick. Three or four weeks later, we tried one last time, and I happened to walk the exact trail he died on.
Funny thing is, I knew I was within 10 feet more than once of it…
That said, if I would’ve flown a drone over that snake grass patch, it would’ve been easy to find in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: HWC
I still think this deer is dead as well. Did you give the dog a try?
I did not. I'm still not convinced he's dead. Might be wishful thinking but the multiple beds has thrown me a curve ball. Only solid red blood, no smell in the beds or sign of gut or lung so I'm leaning towards a muscle hit but not sure. Put a lot into searching for the past week.

I did not. I'm still not convinced he's dead. Might be wishful thinking but the multiple beds has thrown me a curve ball. Only solid red blood, no smell in the beds or sign of gut or lung so I'm leaning towards a muscle hit but not sure. Put a lot into searching for the past week.
It's always difficult to know but lack of blood doesn't mean a lot. Their clotting ability is insane. He's a hurting unit otherwise he wouldn't have kept bedding down. I know they will often circle back so make sure you have also looked closer to your stand. Good luck!

I know they will often circle back so make sure you have also looked closer to your stand. Good luck!
Yes, I know they like to circle back from where they came from, I did check that area thoroughly. I think the rut might have affected that theory? I hit one high and back years ago with a recurve, no blood and he went on another property. The owner wasn't home so the next day I got permission and he helped along with two buddies of mine. We jumped some deer in a small, wooded strip and he jumped up and chased the does all over another field like nothing happened. He was a 3-year-old who lived until he was 7 years old when he was harvested two miles away. I'm not giving up though until I find him or get a picture.

Top Bottom