Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Minimum age for bowhunting?

JNRBRONC

My younger son really wants to bowhunt.
smile.gif
He is 9 years old. We live in Iowa. I saw a picture of a 10 year old girl with her bow buck in the Cedar Rapids Gazette, thus, there must be a way for him to bow hunt? Is the Hunter Certification training waved for bow hunters? The age for Hunter Certification is 12 years old, isn't it? Then, as I own and operate a farm, he should be able to get a landowner tag without having to buy a state hunting license (avoiding hunter certification requirements?). Don't get me wrong, I believe in safety, and both boys will go through Hunter Certification. I just hope there is a way to get them started before the age of 12, especially since they are showing interest.
Anyone have any suggestions for a bow? I plan on taking the boys to Fin & Feather in Iowa City. They allow people to test fire bows there, don't they?
Thanks,
jnrbronc

To hunt anything alone, they need a hunting license which means they need to pass a hunter's safety course first, age 12 or older. However, a youth can also hunt with an adult and not be required to buy a hunting license at all so to hunt deer, they just need to buy a deer tag and have an adult with them. You can get them started at any age and buy them a tag but an adult needs to be in direct supservision of them. If it is on your own land, they don't need a state wide hunting license (they do need a deer tag, one either sex landowner tag per landowner FAMILY per year, not one per landowner family MEMBER) but they still either need the safety certificate or an adult with them. They do not need to pass the safety class to buy a deer tag. At least that is how I understand it and have seen it done.

when i was aroune 8 or 9 i started bowhunting with my dad. we would sit in the same old platform stand and we got my tags just like 150class stated. it was great. my only stipulation was i had to draw 40 pounds and be able to put 6 out of 8 arrows in a paper plate at 20 yards. took me a few yeras but i finally got my deer. good luck to you and your son.

Top Bottom