Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Morning birds?

MadisonB&C

I've got a couple of questions for some of the more seasoned turkey hunters:
1) Will a group of toms roost in the same general location day after day or the same location in the spring as they do in the fall?

2) How close is too close when it comes to birds on the roost?

In the spring toms generally don't roost together. Sometimes you'll get a couple but in my experience they spread way out in the spring.

As far as how close is too close? When you spook 'em!! I've set up within 50 yards and not spooked 'em and I've set up within 200 yards and spooked 'em. Turkeys are unpredictable at best sometimes. I like to find where they go at about 2 hours after fly down and set up there for 'em.

At one of the spots that I hunt the birds are in the same area no matter what time of year it is. There will be no less than two, sometimes three and last year four on this particular ridge. At another spot I hunt, they will be in one area in the fall and a half a mile away in the spring. I think it really depends on the birds in the area.

I have also found that if the birds are not spooked right before fly-up they will generally roost in the same area (in Iowa).

As far as how close is too close... I agree with muddy you just never know. I usually use the little closer every morning routine. I have also shot the majority of the birds I have killed form 9 to 2. It is awesome to be out there when they are ripp'in but killin time for me is from 9 to 2.

You need to be some what cautious, because once you take that step that bumps him off the roost it's too late. Let the terrain dictate how close you get, and knowing where they want to go may be better that how close you get to him on the roost.

Of all the turks I've taken only 3 have been right at flydown. I'm with Limb most of the actual killin' is much later in the morning and early afternoon.

A well used afternoon field setup is probably more effective than many early roost setups.
My 2 cents

Good luck, take there beak off!
Pupster

I agree with all the responses above, they have given you some good information.
Fall roosting areas may or may not be the same as in the Spring. I think this greatly depends on the availability to a good food source in the Fall. But, once you figure out where Toms like to roost in the Spring, you should find them there year after year.
How close to get on the roost? This will be unique in each situation. Later in the season will be different than in early season depending on the "green up". I also agree with Pupster that the "lay of the land" will also determine how close to get. After awhile you will just get the feeling, I better not take one more step.
As stated above, your best luck will come after the early morning breeding is over and the hens have left the Tom alone. Get one going crazy about 10:00 in the morning and I think you will find he's going to like what you have to say. Good Luck!

My experience has been a little diffrent from most of the replies. I have never killed a bird latter than 7:30, and most have been right at first light. My best area is along the edges of a big hay field maybe 200+ acres. Every spring the toms tend to roost in almost the same draws. Four years in a row I took a bird sitting under the same tree with decoys in the same spot. Three of these birds flew out into the field over my head and past the decoys, then walked up a slope to the decoys.

The best thing to do is get used to your hunting ground. You will know about where birds roost and where they strut and find some good spots to setup. Go out when the birds really start to gobble and just listen and try to place where they are roosted and don't spook or alert them, unless they are spooked they will stay there until you are ready. Good luck and shoot straight!

My experiences as where the birds roost in the spring are in areas where they have good visual and auditory senses such as open ridgetops and small meadows. As the foliage becomes thicker, the birds will seem to move to the more open woodlots and larger fields to strut and feed. These areas may be the same in the spring as they were in the fall but don't count on it on a daily basis. These old boys will be where the hens are. I like to go out in the evening and try and roost several birds and use that as a starting point for the next morning. If you can't locate a gobbler the night before, try to get several hens to call that evening by cutting loudly just before dusk. You locate several hens, you have a good start for the following day.

As far as how close to a tom on roost, I get as close a 80 yards or to where I think he will go when he hits the ground. Good Luck......S220

Madison

Nice website, took the time to look it over tonite. I don't know about the picture of that guy in orange with an 11 pointer, he looks kind've shifty if you asked me.

wink.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Top Bottom