Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Most fun with clothes on!!!!

stunmags

Well today I started transplanting my better trees to outside while continuing to keep my smaller ones inside to nurse more. I can’t believe how much I really enjoy doing this. Crazy how it all starts from a little acorn too. Once these get a bit bigger, I am going to move them to their final growing spot. Next year I would love to try Chinese chestnuts, so if anyone can help me locate those, I would greatly appreciate it. If you have never done anything like this before, ( this is my first time) I highly recommend it. It’s extremely satisfying and so fun to watch the journey of these trees.

Attachments

• 70455798178__7803358F-90E0-44C8-B2BC-8464AF5A08E5.jpeg
    70455798178__7803358F-90E0-44C8-B2BC-8464AF5A08E5.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 70
I agree, I'm growing trees from seed for the first time this year as well. I actually ordered some Chinese chestnuts on ebay this spring that were already stratified. So far 25 of the 35 have emerged and have 55 emerged oaks of several different species. Very fun and addictive.

So great!!! Don’t let the squirrels get to em! ;). I’ve got some that I started like yours that are popping out of tubes. I took this pic yesterday.
Enjoy!!! Lot of sources for chestnut seed BTW. This one is chestnut.
237FF1B8-8C56-45EA-B246-BC1413BED14E.jpeg

So great!!! Don’t let the squirrels get to em! ;). I’ve got some that I started like yours that are popping out of tubes. I took this pic yesterday.
Enjoy!!! Lot of sources for chestnut seed BTW. This one is chestnut. View attachment 125214
Hey Skip, what is the rule of thumb that you use when planting them in their final planting spot? 1 foot tall, 2 feet tall,etc.

Hey Skip, what is the rule of thumb that you use when planting them in their final planting spot? 1 foot tall, 2 feet tall,etc.
Irrelevant IMO. I’m torn between 2 methods…. Getting them in asap or getting them in at end of 1st growing season in fall. Both have a bit of +/- but not deal breaker either way.
I will admit- I still struggle storing trees over winter. I still lose too many. PERSONALLY- I’d rather get em in ground vs storing.

Top Bottom