Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mule deer hunting

IowaBowHunter1983

Staff member
I've never been but would like to go. Preferably in September. I'm putting in for points in Wyoming but that will take a while for a decent unit.

Where you guys been? Do's and don'ts for a newbie? I'd like to be able to chase some BIG ones, but I know need temper expectations off the bat.

Go.

I went on an elk/deer combo in Montana 2 years ago. I actually shot a whitetail on the 1st day, so that was it for my deer. But later in the hunt I could have shot a GIANT mule deer, but I was tagged out. Then again, I think most of them look giant because they are bigger than we see for whitetails.

So my experience is very limited, I would imagine that there are a bunch of better options than where we were. Ours was more of an elk outing, with deer as a sidebar.

I have hunted Nebraska in December with a muzzleloader. Lots of National forest in central and north west part of the state. Tags are reasonable and otc for bow or muzzy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado. do a bunch of research and pick up a tag off of the leftover list. Any tags <5 points get put on a leftover list that are first come first serve. Colorado is a place where big ones can come from any unit. In order to chase big ones diy, with 0 points that is your best bet. If you are looking for guided, thats a whole different ball game. Money can put you in a good spot. Kansas is good, but tricky for NRs. You have to have a deer tag and then draw a mule deer stamp. If you don’t draw the mule deer stamp, you still have a non refundable deer tag. AZ otc archery could be good if you go guided. Idaho otc is boom and bust. They had awesome deer a few years ago, then hard winters really pounded the deer herd. im sure it’s still good in pockets, but you would need some local intel.Big deer are killed on utah general tags every year, but it’s definitely not a slam dunk.

Also, just read and listen to some guys who consistently kill big bucks on public easy to draw tags. Randy Ulmer, Brian Barney, Brady Miller, Tony Trietch are a few that come to mind.

Top Bottom