Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader for turkeys?

blake

Life Member
Went out today and did some practicing with the TK2000. I must be getting old, 150 grains of triple 7 really pounded the h--- out of my shoulder. Shot great though! Anyone else on here hunt turkeys with a muzzle loader shotgun?

I use the same gun but a little less powder. I use 110 grains of pyrodex and about 2oz of copper #6. I haven't used the triple 7 yet but understand it has a litte more poop than pyrodex. What ever you use it makes a great puff of white smoke early in the morning.

Blake,

Be careful...I have the same gun and the specs show a max powder charge of 120 grains. Different than the muzzleloading rifle. Maybe with the 209 conversion kit (which I don't have) you can shoot 150 grains, I'm not sure about that. You're right though...even with 120 grains it kicks like a mule. If you shoot in the semi-dark you'll see that it throws a means streak of fire about 2-3 feet out the barrel as well. My best pattern comes with 120 grains of loose pyrodex and #5 Red Hot shot. Deadly to 40+ yards. Good luck!

NWBuck

I have been told by a very good friend of mine who works for Knight Rifle that 150 grains is ok to shoot in the TK2000 even though the book recommends 120 grain max.And yes I do have the disc extreme kit in my shotgun. I can't believe how much easier it is to clean using the Triple 7 powder. Clean up time is cut in half or less. Takes longer to take the firearm apart for cleaning than the actual cleaning itself.

Top Bottom