Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader question

CamoMan

I recently sold my CVA muzzleloaders, and am getting ready to purchase a new gun to get it ready and sighted in for the late season. I had always 'assumed' that I would buy a Knight rifle. Recently, I was at a store, and started looking at the Winchester blackpowder guns. I kinda like the way they look, and the price was appealing to me, also. My question is this - how good are these guns? How does a Winchester compare for accuracy and maintainance ? I know that most people in this forum shoot Knights, but I would like to have an honest evaluation of the 'other' guns. I don't like real long shots, and have never shot at a deer beyond 90 yards. In the past, my CVA guns had proven to be plenty accurate. I am not a target shooter, and will use the gun only for deer hunting. Thanks in advance for your input . . .

camoman,
Have you ever looked at or thought about shooting a Thompson Encore? That is what I Used this year and got a real nice deer. They sell for around $550. Just a suggestion

Travis Becker

WINCHESTER MUZZLELOADERS ARE SOLID GUNS. THE ONLY DRAWBACK I SEE AFTER SELLING THEM FOR OVER A YEAR NOW, IS THE WEIGHT OF THE GUN. IT IS HEAVY FOR A STILL HUNER BUT SHOULDNT MATTER FOR A STAND HUNTER. ACCURACY IS GOOD---NOT GREAT BUT DEFINATELY GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE RANGES YOU ARE LOOKING AT--UP TO 100 YARDS NO PROBLEM....M350 OUT

I evaluated most of the muzleloaders last winter and bought the t/c encore in March. 4 of my friends also bought them and we are all getting sub 1" groups at 100 yards with them. They are accurate an easy to clean. Add in the versatilit of other barrels and calibers and it is tough to beat.

i am a sold on knight rifles all the way. they are deadly accurate. even out to 200 yrds i will shoot 3 and 4 inch groups. although i have not shot a deer that far out it's nice to know i have the gun and the confidence to do it. after shooting 240gr hornadys for several years with good results, i tried a few different brands of sabots this year just for the heck of it. i really liked the way Cabelas brand 250gr spitzer was grouped on my targets. even thought 250gr's is more than enough to bring down a whitetail, i wasn't sure how they would perform. they must hit hard cause he never took a step after i shot. i will say that a friend of mine bought an encore and he really likes it. i shot it a couple of times and i think it's a fine gun. but if i was to buy another it would still be a knight.......................

Top Bottom