Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Never hurts to ask.

Bucksnbears

Never hurt to ask.
Have a cousin couple miles away. He farmed his whole life but now retired. Rents out his land.
I used to bowhunt it years ago but he n I didn't get along very well so....
He has about 1400 acres ( continuous) along a river.north to south, bout 2.5 miles but with all the bends/ points, I'd say about 6 miles of actual river.
So anyway, he's have trouble with coyotes n Badgers digging up is 3/4 mile long driveway and he asked me if I could take care of them. So I asked him if I can bowhunt. Sure, go ahead.
(We get along fine now).

He has 3 relatives that come from Iowa every year and bowhunt 3 days and 1 friend and his daughter couple days for gun season. That it!,
Went there today for a peek. It's kinda cool. I'm kinda giddy (grin)

Will elaborate more later.
1000001001.jpg
20240911_151040.jpg
20240911_150954.jpg
20240911_150942.jpg
20240911_150928.jpg
20240911_150909.jpg
20240911_150121.jpg

OK, will try this. Lol.
I drew out a map. #1 is first stand. I took no pics of it. But other then a pond, both spots are about the same.
In the map I drew out, stand #1 has about 10 acres in the back point, #2 has about 20. (Guessing).
The trees along the river on all of it is rather slim..bout 100 yards average.
Floods have decimated the banks SO BAD over the years, there are very few spots deer can even acsess water. Like 15' totally vertical !!
Most of it. It's terrible.
Everything in squiggly lines is beans,corn, sugarbeets.
Dotted lines are fields that used to be farmed but have not for about 6_8 years. (Can't get equipment) back there anymore.
Both points are now overgrown with 5' tall sweetclover,young boxelder,ash,basswood like seen in photo # 7.
So, total I'm guessing about 35 acres of unreal whitetail habitat.
Pic #1 and 2 are what both points look like. .
Pic 3 is where the shot opps will be.
Pic 4 is the view of the pond right below the stand.
Pic 5 from the base of the tree I picked out. Notice the MASSIVE deer trail coming down the slope to the pond.

Well dammitttt, I almost completely screwed this up. Lol.
Ah well, i hope you all get at least somewhat the gist of it. Lol.
nutshell, from where ag starts to furthest back points, both are about 1/2 miles of incredibly thick cover. Both points have basically 1 spot each deer can go through and I've got them each covered.
This kind of cover is unheard of around here.
Enjoy the tutorial even though it seems a mess. Lol.

Holy cow!!!! Jackpot!!!!!!
U hit a key point…. He has problems with coyotes & badgers…. YOU took the time to help his problem. Which to him is work & u show up to solve it. Makes it way easier for him to say yes to hunting. You know this but the more the general public figures it out- they could be on a lot more farms if they would put some old fashion work in.
That looks amazing!!!!

Those pinch points should be a great set up,
Yes sir!!, like the best I've ever seen.

Gotta say though, over 40 years± bowhunting many miles of windy riverbottoms with tight points, it not as easy as it appears.
Older bucks (and does) know the game.

Gotta follow Extreme scent control on enty/ exit routes.

Brought a stand in today to set up in that huge burr Oak.
Figgered out I didn't need a stand. So many comfortable big limbs to stand on, lean against.
Brought back MANY fond memories when I was young and couldn't afford tree stands. Lol.
Heck, the first 10 years of my bowhunting life was perched in nothing but limbs/ branches.
Got cams set on both places.
Even our 4/5 /6 year old bucks seldom break 150".
Don't care anymore about score. Will see what shows up.
This area 【 for miles】 is basically not hunted now days.
What 15 years ago was a sea of orange has now turned into a dead sea.
I can actually " see" Mn getting better at cranking out big bucks like we used to.

Heck, the Mn state record NT of all times was shot not far from me.

Mitch Vackok (spelling)?

Gonna start a new thread about a thing I started doing many years ago to acsess climbing trees for those that still like to sit in a tree.
Glad you fellas enjoyed the pics.

Top Bottom