Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Area.

SWBUCKHNTR

I am getting into a world of hunting I know nothing about. I have been asked to manage a 10,000 acre property in western nebraska. It has a combo of whitetails, muleys, and speed goats. The guy I do a lot of whitetail work for here in Iowa wants me to put in some food plots to promote the muleys. We have plenty of whitetails here so he wants to encourage mule deer over whitetails out there. I have not been there yet but I guess it is roughly 6,000 row crop 2,000 pasture, and 2,500 of recreation ground. There is a river running through the rec gound. I have water and shelter now all I need is food any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Check out the row crop that will be there. If there is a bunch of winter wheat there, you may already have a heck of a food plot.

Something with a long tap root... Moisture is going to be your biggest challenge. Could be an Iowa Whitetail first, irrigated plots... : )

All the row crop is going to be corn. The 6,000 acres are on pivot irrigation heads the pastures are irrigated as well and the rec ground is downhill from the row crop and pature. I dont know if there will be any run off though because I am guessing it is sand and the water will just run straight in to the ground.

Look into this....Kabuli Chickpeas. They like heat, they don't like a lot of moisture, thety're an annual..and here in Saskacthewan, Kabuli's draw mule deer from a long ways. Saskatchewan monster mule deer is one of the hunitng industry's best kept secrets...thank god....and they can attribute alot of their growth to kabulis and lentils...pulse crops.

Top Bottom