Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Muzzleloader

StrutnRut2

Im looking to buy a new muzzleloader and was wondering what you guys would reccomend. Im leaning toward a Omega or a TC Encore. I like the Omega but the trigger-breech assembly looks kind of filmsy. Have any of you had any problems with the Omega? Thanks for any help.

I have never shot an Omega but I did have an Encore. I wasnt very impressed with the gun so I got rid of it. Ive heard that Omegas barrel is to short to get a complete burn of 150grains of powder, not sure about that though. I bought a Knight Revolution and so far I like the gun. Good Luck

Strutandrut-

I have done alot of research on new muzzleloader and I have found the best ones to be the TC Encore, Knight Disc Elite, and the A&H 420. I really wanted to buy an Elite but Cabelas sold out before I could get my hands on one. A good site I found was [url=http://www.chuckhawks.com/most_accurate_muzzleloaders.htm

I would say if you want to support a local company go with the elite. Supposedly it is the most accurate inline out of the box. Knight is also running a 50.00 rebate on all 24&26 inch barrels until the 31st of December.I currently have a Wolverine and have never had a problem with it.

I have shot the Encore and I found it to be a well balanced gun. I think the fact that you can interchange the barrels makes it worth the 500-600 you might pay for it.

I havent ever held an A&h but have heard they are sweet guns.

Whatever you decide, do your research, I think there are several guns that would work out well for you.

Good luck

[ QUOTE ]
Im looking to buy a new muzzleloader and was wondering what you guys would reccomend.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.knightrifles.com/

Sorry, just couldn't stop myself!
shrug[1].gif

I was looking to upgrade my muzzleloading equipment. Somehow I came across the Savage ML10 muzzleloader. It will shoot black powder, black powder substitutes and modern smokeless powders. After having experienced the hassle of cleaning black powder guns, the smokeless part really attracted me. There is a message board devoted to this gun at:
http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage

Also see the Savage website at: http://www.savagearms.com/muzzleloader_home.htm

I read MANY muzzleloading forums on the internet. It seems that the thread of "traditional vs. smokeless" comes up rather often. It is always a very heated and passionate debate. It comes down to: read the information out there, read the DNR regulations, look at your cash flow, and choose the gun that is right for you.

My best friend shot my Savage and then both he and his brother bought one. You should see the buck he got this year. Eleven point with a right G2 over 14 inches. Granted, a (insert brand/model here) might have made the shot as well.

I bought the camo synthetic stock. If I was to do it again I would opt for the laminate stock. Stainless vs blued isn't much of an issue for me, but the synthetic stock is borderline quality (IMO).

If you are buying a gun with a hammer and plan to scope it later, be sure you are ok with the clearance- even with a hammer extension I was never happy with the Encore. Have heard similar complaints on other hammer guns.

I purchased the Savage MLll this year and love it. I wouldn't be scared of taking a 200 yard shot with this thing. I do shot the smokeless powder through it and love it. Easy to clean and of course no smoke after you shot. The great thing is that it shots all of the powder out there. So if you go to another state and doesn't allow the smokeless powder it isn't a problem.
If I had to recommend anything this would be the gun that I would suggest.

ditto what 9point said.

i have 2 knights. they both are tackdrivers. the elite is about 3" high at 100 and dead on at 200. so anything from 50 to 200 just hold it on the zone and it's done. do yourself a favor and at least check them out. the revolution is a sweet gun too.

chalk up another vote for knight.
iowa made, and top notch customer service. unbeatable quality

I would try to get the longest barrel you can. I have a 24" barrell on mine and I don't think I completly burn 100 grains of powder. My next muzzle loader will have at least a 28" barrell so I can burn out a mangum load. The longer length of the barrell also give your bullet more twist inside the barrell and improve your accuracy. My $.02.

I third the Savage 10ML. I have owned a Remington, Knight and Encore and the Savage packs the best group by far.

Another vote for the Savage from me...I love mine, and have got rid of all of my other muzzle loaders I previously had, Knights, Thompson, etc. I did keep a White that I have but thats for other reasons.

I liked the Knight Disc, the Encore, and the Savage. I didn't like the Omega - seemed a little cheap. Didn't much like the Revolution - for about same reason as the Omega. The savage doesn't seem to be balanced really well, but looks like it would be a really sweet gun as long as reg's don't change. In my book the Knight Disc is hard to beat. I like the Encore, but not really wild about the hammer, especially when you have a scope on it. However the Disc and the Encore are very accurate. For me I use the same loads with either gun. Group about the same. Encore maybe just a tad bit tighter. Pick a bunch up and formulate your own opinion. Once you find one you like post again for pro's and con's for what others have experienced.

I have a CVA optima inline muzzy, it is a great weapon. This was my first year using it and I never had a problem, no misfires, easy to clean and site in. By the end of the Muzzy season I was shooting 1-2 inch groupings at 100 yards and also was withing 5 inches or so at 200 yards. I love it and it helped me on two successful hunts this year. Just my input, I have hears great things about the Omega too, but for the price I really like the CVA

I own a SS laminated Omega. When I bought it new last year one of the scope base mounting screw holes was stripped. I had to ship it back to T/C for a new barrel assembly. I had to pay shipping to T/C even though the defect was a manufacturing issue. Other than that hassle I've been real pleased with the gun. I wouldn't consider the trigger assembly flimsy. I think the drop down trigger assembly is a pretty slick set up. I shoot 777 powder and cleaning the gun is really very easy, much easier than a GPR shooting black powder. I have a scope on the gun and cocking the hammer is not a problem, even with gloves on.

Which ever inline you go with I recommend Noler-Partition HG bullets, 260 or 300 grains, or Hornady XTP's.

Everyone seems to like what they are used to so I vote for the Knight. I have used a Knight Disc for several years and have not lost a deer with it yet. I'm not in favor of the 150 grain loads either. I use 2 Pyrodex pellets or 110 grains of 777 and 250 grain Shock Wave bullets and have flattened deer at 120+ yards. I don't think I would feel comfortable with a 200 yard shot in a hunting situation so I don't need max loads and I don't think I can shoot max loads as well as my combo. Knight rifles are a lot quicker and easier to get into action while hunting with gloves and heavy cloths and cold weather.

Top Bottom