Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

new to archery--help

idsman75

I have never hunted with a bow. I've only shot a bow twice in my life. I owned a PSE Nova back in 1997 but I don't want to bore you with the tale of an evil woman and how she parted me from my bow.

What I would really like to know is where to start. I bought a bow that fit my budget at the time. I would like to know if upgrading from PSE to Matthews or Hoyt is worth the extra $$$ I am willing to spend the money if it is really worth it. It wouldn't "technically" be my first bow but it would be my FIRST bow for all practical purposes. I live in Sioux City and would like to know which bow shop I should visit if I am looking to be treated right and not talked down to for being a newbie to the archery scene. I've already dealt with too many gun dealers who think they can blow smoke in my face without me realizing it and then insult my intelligence all the while. I didn't buy my first gun yesterday so these clowns don't get me over their barrel. I am green behind the ears when it comes to archery. Where in Iowa should I go to buy my first bow and get good advice in order to start on the right foot for next year's archery season? Practice Practice Practice is already an assumption that I have made.

I won't mail-order a bow because I believe in supporting the local guys who make their living through supporting the sport that we enjoy.

Bought my first three bows from Custer's Archery in Soldier, IA. , but that's been about 10-15 years back. Don't know if they are even around anymore or what kind of service they have, but at the time they did one heck of a job helping me get the right bow and making sure it fit me. Might be worth checking out.

Also, as far as brand names go, try as many bows as you can and pick the bow that feels the best to you. You'll be much happier in the long run buying something that feels right rather than something based on the logo it carries. Just my 2 cents worth.

Custers is still around and very good. Also might try Siouxland Sports in KD Station, they're pretty straight shooters and hooked up with So. Archery in Spencer. Just some thoughts. Shoot the bow you feel comfortable and confident with and practice; $$ won't buy success.

Just make sure you buy a quality release and sight. A smooth release and a good sight picture makes all the difference. Good Luck!!!!

Some good advice from the other posts. Don't get tunnel vision when it comes to equipment. There is so many good brands of bows out there you really need to shoot them for yourself and pick one that is right for you. Even though you are new to the sport you will know what feels right. I love Mathews but, there are others that don't like the way they feel... you just need to answer the questions for yourself by shooting.

Read up on different rest types, sites, peep sites, stabilizers, wrist slings, arrows, broadheads and all the rest of the "stuff". You will eventually end up with something that is right for you.

That is what is great about bowhunting. You can pick and choose what YOU like.

Good luck and after you begin the hunt for equipment keep asking questions here, there are a lot of people here that know their "stuff" and are willing to share.

There is an archery shop on Pearl St. also. Can't tell you what the guy is like . Went to pick up a tab but they didn't open until 11am( I think.)

If I was looking for a bow and in the Sioux City area there is only 1 place I would look. That is Siouland Sports in KD Stockyard Station. They have a wide variety of bows and you won't buy one that you haven't shot first. They are very customer oriented and want you to be happy and take care of you. I bought a Parker from them early this spring and couldn't be happier with the service. The Briar and Bow on Pearl St. I would stay away from there had some real bad experiences with them as well as many other people that I know. If you want to travel to Sioux Falls, Bledsoe Archery has always been very good to me. Just my opinion

a great treestand bow for a small price is a buckmaster g2. short and forgiving.

I would recommend Siouxland sports as well. I bought a Browning there a couple of years ago. Rod was really helpful. I also go to Larry's Archery Barn which is located 20 minutes from Sioux City. It is just outside of Jefferson, SD.
SD Buck

I buy pipe tobacco from Briar and Bow. The guys there seem nice but I get a weird vibe when I go there. I've heard about Siouxland Sports at KD station. I heard about it this week from a co-worker who goes to the music store at KD station. I'll have to check it out when the time is right for me to buy a bow. I'll be looking for one in February.

I heard that Ted Nugent frequents a bow shop out near Yankton, SD. A friend of mine met him there once. Any truth to the rumor?

I have found that no matter what you buy the first time you will always find that there will be a lot learned from this. Buy somthing that is reasonable and learn all the tricks that it takes to tune your bow to shoot a staight and smooth arrow flight. Be sure to buy arrow rest, sights and a release that are easy to adjust.

Top Bottom