Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No more food plots?

Crimson Arrows

I good friend of mine asked Friday if I had heard any rumor that there was consideration to ban food plots in Iowa? I hadn't heard anything to this effect, but apologize if this was a thread earlier. I was just curious if there was anything to that etc or if anyone had heard anything? Thanks.

I have also heard grumblings of this but not from any sources that make me feel as if it could be a reality.

Interested to hear from others as well.

For some reason this idea just doesn't make any sense to me? How could they ban food plots in Iowa when there are too many variables to what makes a food plot? Does a agricultural plot such as corn and soybeans count as a food plot. So then would you would no longer be able to hunt within a certain area of a field. I guess in my eyes this concept is impossible to grasp how they would go about enforcing this.

There were probably talking about the discussion to ban "feeding deer". The concentration of animals around an apple pile or mineral lick poses a disease transmission threat. I don't see them banning food plots.

HOUSE NATURAL RESOURCES COMMITTEE. Dale Garner, DNR Wildlife Chief, and Dr. Schmidt, State Veterinarian, gave the Committee an update on Chronic Wasting Disease and tuberculosis in wild and pen-raised deer. To date neither has been found in Iowa. The diseases have been found in several states. They briefed the Committee on a proposed bill to ban the feeding of wildlife with numerous agricultural exemptions and bird feeding within 50 yards of an occupied residence. The main threat discussed regarding deer is congregating them in a small area where disease transmission can readily occur.

QUOTE]There were probably talking about the discussion to ban "feeding deer". The concentration of animals around an apple pile or mineral lick poses a disease transmission threat.[[/QUOTE]

No one in the DNR has ever mentioned food plots. It has nothing to do with food plots.

No matter...my clover is for the, um, rabbits, yes, the rabbits!! :) I'll just put up signs, "No deer allowed!".

If there is any seriousness to this then that is ABSOLUTE proof that there are too many democrats in the legislature. :)

Food plots

Banning food plots, that would be a first. What if you had a garden, and the deer were raiding it? Cornfields left standing, would that be a food plot? I don't think the DNR or the legislature will ever go down that road!

This is basically in regards to setting out piles of corn, apples, mineral licks, etc. Diseases suck as CWD and blue tongue are transmitted through the saliva at these feeding sights. This was also done in Wisconsin in recent years to combat their outbreak of CWD.

I am personally for it. If you think the deer population has gone down over the last couple of years, an outbreak of something like CWD can wipe out almost an entire population of deer.

Totally agree with you guys, I figured it was only about feeding and not plots.

What are your thoughts on the mineral lick, corn/apples/supplements at trail cam site? Couldn't a small food plot pose some of these same issues if it is a hot food source with many deer on it?

Top Bottom