Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nosler Partion HG = Devastation

bugs11

For those who enjoy short and easy tracking of mortally wounded deer may I suggest using the Nosler Partition HG 260 grain bullet? I’ve been using that projectile for the last 3 years and the NP HG’s terminal performance has been nothing but spectacular. Every deer I’ve shot has been a complete pass through, even a doe I hit last year head on at 40 yards. I thought for sure I’d have a recoverable slug with that particular shot, but no, right front brisket entrance, exit just in front of the left ham.

What I find interesting about the NP HG is that the entrance wound is typically more devastated than the exit wound. Take the November antler-less tag I filled last evening at last light, the doe was quartering towards me at 35 yards; hit the left front shoulder, exit mid-rib cage on the right side. The entrance wound was 4-5 inches across; I think the fact that I hit bone had something to do with the size of the entrance wound. The exit hole was just that a hole about a half inch in diameter. Internal inspection revealed that the .452 slug had just grazed the heart. Even with all that damage the doe still ran 90 yards across a chisel-plowed field before expiring. The only downside to the Nosler Partition HG is the cost, they’re kind of pricey, but then I believe you get what you pay for. And if it costs me a little more to always get complete pass through, I’ll pay it.

For the record I shoot a 90 grains of Triple Seven out of TC Omega, laminated stock, SS barrel topped with a Bushnell 3200 1.5-4.5 Firefly scope. The florescent reticle on the Firefly scope was very useful as I dropped the hammer with 8 minutes of legal hunting time left last evening.

Bugs

Top Bottom