Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Now what?

JRadd33

Due to lack of time and distance to farm, my plots are 3’ tall. Some weeds, lot of rye but clover looks really good. What are you guys doing at this point to get rid of rye and weeds, keep the clover and prep for 1/2 brassicas?

Agree on mowing. I’d Personally spray clethodim & crop oil. Then several days later- I’d mow. I’d want a couple days for herbicide to work through the plant.

Agree on mowing. I’d Personally spray clethodim & crop oil. Then several days later- I’d mow. I’d want a couple days for herbicide to work through the plant.
Skip, in southern Illinois, with fawns everywhere. You think wait to mow? Will thatch from tall grass/weeds suffocate clover?

Skip, in southern Illinois, with fawns everywhere. You think wait to mow? Will thatch from tall grass/weeds suffocate clover?
I would wait or I’d walk through to get fawns out. I do time my mowings around fawns Right now they are starting to get more mobile around me so I might do some mowing. But yes: scout & get em out or wait a bit due to fawns IMO

Due to lack of time and distance to farm, my plots are 3’ tall. Some weeds, lot of rye but clover looks really good. What are you guys doing at this point to get rid of rye and weeds, keep the clover and prep for 1/2 brassicas?
Keeping a few plots in that exact shape for the summer is great for brood rearing and cover for fawns. Those "weeds" can be some great free food as well.

I leave a few in that condition for summer every year in the rotation and put them back in fall plots.

Many options, can mow and/or spray.

Can always let the rye stand and run its course, drying down and dying. Will help shade the clover.

Then mow September 1st and have a clover plot for fall.

FYI I learned the hard way that spraying can be hard on fawns, not just mowing. Sprayed a plot last weekend and ran over a fawn with UTV and killed it. Didn’t even know I hit it until the next pass. Was not much weed height, shocked I didn’t see it, they can really hide!

FYI I learned the hard way that spraying can be hard on fawns, not just mowing. Sprayed a plot last weekend and ran over a fawn with UTV and killed it. Didn’t even know I hit it until the next pass. Was not much weed height, shocked I didn’t see it, they can really hide!
Been there!!! Last year I got one with a batwing & one with a planter. I’ve drilled over several. U name it. Don’t beat yourself too bad. It happens. For me- it almost makes me sick or ruins my day. But it happens. It also makes me think of all those guys baling hay!!! “They have to be cutting tons”. I talked to 2 guys in last week that cut hay… one hit 8 & the other was in double digits. Ugggghhh. I’m at 0 this year!!!! I’ve stayed out of tall grasses & that helps a ton. I’m just finishing farm work RIGHT NOW. I saw no less than dozen fawns today. A lot on canary grass, rye, switch, etc. I stayed on crop fields & out of tall spots… cute little things!!!

Top Bottom