Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

# of IA. Hunters Declining

blake

Life Member
Number of Iowa Hunters Declining

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) — Iowa environmental officials are looking for ways to stop the slide in the number of hunters, which is blamed primarily on the declining pheasant population.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service says the number of Iowa hunters declined more than 20 percent between 1991 and 2001, which mirrors a nationwide trend, The Gazette reported Friday.

In 2002, the state issued 189,000 resident hunting licenses, a 9 percent drop from last year, when it was 172,000.

"We are going to be missing a generation of hunters if we can't get this turned around,'' said Dale Garner, chief of the Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Bureau.

Garner said the drop in hunters is tied to a drop in the state's pheasant population, which biologists attribute to hostile weather and habitat loss.

The loss of opportunities to hunt pheasants has limited new hunting recruits, especially younger hunters, DNR spokesman Kevin Baskins said.

Garner said the loss of habitat and access to hunting grounds have caused older hunters to give up the sport. Hunting also competes with other forms of entertainment, notably electronic media, for the attention of teens and young adults, he said.

The DNR and hunting-relating conservation groups, such as Pheasants Forever, are focusing on special seasons, workshops and mentoring programs to promote hunting among teenagers, Garner said. High school archery and trap shooting programs are gaining popularity, he said.

Proceeds from the sale of hunting, fishing and trapping licenses, and other fees, go into the Fish and Wildlife Trust Fund, which in fiscal 2010 was $35.7 million, or about 30 percent of the DNR's $121.6 million budget.

While pheasant and other small game hunting has languished in Iowa, deer and turkey hunting and increased sales of applicable licenses have taken up the revenue slack. However, that could change because of pressures to reduce the deer herd.

Baskins said a planned reduction in special permits to kill antlerless deer will start showing up in license sales within two years.

Unlike hunting licenses, fishing licenses have increased this decade, from nearly 321,000 in 2002 to more than 325,000 in 2009. The DNR says fishing in Iowa continues to improve with lake construction and expansion of walleye stocking programs.

So what do you think the reason is behind the decline in the number of hunters taking to the field? Please post your comments.

It worries me hearing about all the areas in iowa with too few deer #'s. I know that is not a good thing in relation to youth hunters. I'm also concerned with the small population of pheasants. Then, in many areas I'm seeing far fewer turkeys. Not good!!! I honestly think there's a huge correlation between high game sightings and youth hunter satisfaction. Let's face it- at that age we need action and are bored easily. Lots of elements to the population situation but I am concerned with that issue.

See how much it declines if they open the NR quota or give NR landowners special access to tags.

I already see it as a lack of access to areas as a lot of decline and I am not in a pheasant area of Iowa but where I used to go chasing them, I haven't seen one in years

See how much it declines if they open the NR quota or give NR landowners special access to tags.

I already see it as a lack of access to areas as a lot of decline and I am not in a pheasant area of Iowa but where I used to go chasing them, I haven't seen one in years

There is much more to this than the NR tag issue. The articles states that deer hunting and turkey hunting numbers are up, it is primarily a drop in pheasant numbers. Which have been devastated by weather and lack of good cover.

Same goes for duck hunting in MN, which has lost 1/2 of the number of hunters.

I would say this will be a reason to add NR tags, as it is easy additonal revenue.

There is much more to this than the NR tag issue. The articles states that deer hunting and turkey hunting numbers are up, it is primarily a drop in pheasant numbers. Which have been devastated by weather and lack of good cover.

I would say this will be a reason to add NR tags, as it is easy additional revenue.

If the deer and turkey numbers are up and more NR tags are offered we will continue to see a decline in numbers of resident numbers due to land access.
Sounds like the DNR needs to think of a way to get the resident numbers back up again IMO.

You can give all the NR tags you want but it is the resident population that is spending the majority of their money in Iowa and helping hunting.

I would say this will be a reason to add NR tags, as it is easy additonal revenue.

After reading the article I am not totally clear on a few points, but I'll offer a couple of comments.

You could easily have increased revenue from deer hunting while the actual number of licensed hunters is declining. 20 years ago I think we could get 2 tags max, 1 bow, 1 gun. Nowadays I know a few people who have shot as many as 50+ deer in one single year. I know many people who get 3-5+ tags apiece annually. Back in the day, 1 hunter = 2 tags max. Now, 1 hunter = potentially many, many more tags in a year.

While there are certainly fewer people going afield for pheasants right now, if there was a 20% drop in hunters between 1991 and 2001, that had NOTHING to do with declining pheasant numbers as pheasant hunting was actually quite good over wide areas in our state in that time period. The marked drop in pheasant numbers has really only been over the past 2-3 years. We have had terribly wet and cool springs, even wet summers, and several tough winters AND significant loss of habitat too.

I see participation #'s declining as it is a fairly expensive hobby relative to some other things we guys could get into AND here it is again...access to good quality hunting areas is getting MUCH tougher these days.

I don't see where the numbers have actually declined. I suppose the numbers don't lie, but hunting has been very commercialized in the last 7-8 years. There are more bow hunters than ever. It's even harder to find a good piece of private property to get access on.

I wish more of license fees went to buying land that could be used for public hunting. Less than 1% of Iowa's land is public. It's hard to find a place to hunt that actually holds a good population of animals, so many people are probably finding new hobbies.

It may sound odd, but I think the increasing popularity of deer hunting is directly responsible for the decline in general hunter numbers. Every year it seems I see more and more bowhunters. This leads directly to more and more locked up ground. That same ground is no longer available for hunting pheasant, rabbit, squirrel, duck or anything else as well as deer.

As a younger adult (I'm 27), I can honestly say if it weren't for pheasant hunting, I would probably not be where I am today as a deer hunter. Pheasant hunting was my first obsession which later transitioned into turkey and deer hunting. Deer hunting is definitely more difficult and could be easily discouraging for a novice. This article makes sense to me.

As a younger adult (I'm 27), I can honestly say if it weren't for pheasant hunting, I would probably not be where I am today as a deer hunter. Pheasant hunting was my first obsession which later transitioned into turkey and deer hunting.
Same here.
I agree with everyone else that talks about land access being a problem. It is getting harder and harder to gain good ground to hunt on. I don't see if getting any easier either.

As a younger adult (I'm 27), I can honestly say if it weren't for pheasant hunting, I would probably not be where I am today as a deer hunter. Pheasant hunting was my first obsession which later transitioned into turkey and deer hunting. Deer hunting is definitely more difficult and could be easily discouraging for a novice. This article makes sense to me.
Make that X2. However, lately it is not that far of a stretch to say that it is easier to kill a deer than a pheasant. (at least in my area)

Top Bottom