Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Old timer deer hunters

CR Archer

After I posted a picture of my deer kill in my 25th year year of hunting I started to contemplate the changes over 25 years. I was happy to see other hunters with as much or more experience respond to that post.

Most every aspect about bow hunting has changed, over these years. The bows, the arrows and broadheads are just a few. It used to be you saw a few wooden platforms, heavy homemade steels hang ons and we each maybe owned a storebought stand. We used screw in steps and tree limbs to climb.

We had a few camo choices - my first camo were dark green Key work pants and a camo tree bark jacket. We had the old white long johns that everyone wore. For cold weather insulated brown bibs.

For game detection you had a unit that when the thread was broken by anything going down the trail it stopped a clock, one time use until set again.

Sitting in the treestand one day I came up with the old defination of terms you hear about today. The other "experienced" hunters on here will like these and hopefully add some.

C’Mere Deer – What we said to ourselves as we watched a deer approach. “ C’mere deer keep coming this way so I can shoot ya!”
Acorn Rage – What happened to a hunter sitting in an oak tree – it was not hard to get pissed when acorns kept dropping off your head
Food plot – a picked or unpicked field of corn or soybeans.
Scentshield – some red fox or skunk smell sprayed on your boots
Scent control – when you rubbed some green walnuts on your clothes – I still love that smell
Shooter – a buck that was close enough you to shoot
Bonus Tag – you were lucky enough to draw an any sex tag for shotgun season
Deer hunting lease – when you gave the farmer a couple rolls of salami for letting you hunt their land.

Feel free to add more if you think of any!

CR, I can relate to everything you mentioned, been hunting since 1967, bow hunting since 1969. The old stick bow, ugly green camo, walnut or dirt and leaves for cover scent, wooden stands and no such thing as a deer call! Love your definitions too.......all so true!

What scares me is I used to always be considered a "youngen", newer to hunting... Heck, I'm at the 20 year mark this year!!! 34 now and started at 14. Hmmmm, I guess it doesn't seem a ton different to me because these years have gone by so quick. Guess in a "short time" I went from hunting the "worst state" Michigan, in the worst county in that state & blasting everything (at the start) VS now having my own farm & letting great genetic 4.5 year olds go. Quality of hunting is my boggling different- different universe. I really have fond memories of both though. now, I have a new element of land management, habitat improvement, bringing family & friends out, etc. Most my hunting memories along the way are great. MOST :)

Bonus Tag – you were lucky enough to draw an any sex tag for shotgun season
I remember waiting for the tag back from the mail in lottery, prayed that I would get an anysex tag so that my chances of having venison in the freezer were better.

Involved in my first deer hunt 36 years ago.

Lots of things have changed, some not for the best, IMO.

What scares me is I used to always be considered a "youngen", newer to hunting... Heck, I'm at the 20 year mark this year!!! 34 now and started at 14. Hmmmm, I guess it doesn't seem a ton different to me because these years have gone by so quick. Guess in a "short time" I went from hunting the "worst state" Michigan, in the worst county in that state & blasting everything (at the start) VS now having my own farm & letting great genetic 4.5 year olds go. Quality of hunting is my boggling different- different universe. I really have fond memories of both though. now, I have a new element of land management, habitat improvement, bringing family & friends out, etc. Most my hunting memories along the way are great. MOST :)

Same here Skip. I've been hunting whitetails for 24 years now, killed my first deer at the age of 8 with a gun, and many followed years after. It wasn't until I was 13 till I took a deer with archery equipment. So I have only been in the archery game for 19 years now. I always kind of considered myself one of the "younger" guys out there as well, but after sitting down and thinking about it, I've been at it for awhile.

First set of camo was tree bark cover alls. Had the white insulated underwear to go under it if it was cool out. Now I'm going to have to dig out the old photo album and scan some photo's.

First bow, was a PSE of some sort, can't even remember the name. Shot an aluminum arrow about the size of your thumb, with a thunderhead broadhead on it.

I'm only 26 years old and took my first deer at age 11 with a shotgun. Age 12 brought on the archery obsession. My first deer was a yearling doe. My next deer was a mature doe. Followed by a fully mature broken antlered buck. Since that day there has always been something about big bodied mature whitails that drives me nuts.
I learned to hunt with guys just like yourselves. Woodsmaship was number one. Using the wind. Moving slow and being patient. Taking the shot when you knew you could make it. Wounding game was unheard of. Shoot good clean ethical shots.
Some of the stuff I see even in the short time I've been doing this blow my mind. Paying to lease huge tracts of land. Food plots by the hundreds of acres. Relationships between friends and family ruined over a deer.
You can't buy woodsmanship or patience, my dad has said that for years. We don't pay to hunt any land that we don't own. What we do is treat land owners the way they deserve to be treated. Some hard work all summer, a few catfish fillets and a handshake is what we rely on to keep some of the best ground in the state.
Yes we have food plots. We run a lot of cameras and we use the most modern technology. But sometimes I wish I could go back in time to when things were different.
Thanks for the reminder of simpler times. And keep on chasing whitetails and sharing the stories on here

I remember passing a spike buck when I was in 7th grade and getting chewed out because we still had 6 Buck Only tags to fill. Great thread.

My first bow kill, back in 87 this was a nice deer.

hunt1463.jpg

Retro! :D

My first racked archery buck from 1991.
1991November11_zpsd074a550.jpg
The treebark camo is in the closet and it still fits. ;)

Retro! :D

My first racked archery buck from 1991.
1991November11_zpsd074a550.jpg
The treebark camo is in the closet and it still fits. ;)

Treebark camo - it was a great look hunting out of a tree stand. retro is the big rage, maybe you need to start using it again :)

I have a buck with a little acorn on one his his tines like yours - this also would have been nice back then.

Very cool thread. I'm 52 and you have me thinking big time now about how simple things really were. Not once did I ever forget my release. I know there is more too. Made my day.

Very cool thread. I'm 52 and you have me thinking big time now about how simple things really were. Not once did I ever forget my release. I know there is more too. Made my day.

I forgot my release the other night...sat in the stand simply observing with my $800 bow, but nothing to pull it back!!!

I forgot to add that, film camera, we did not take as many pictures back then either!
And if you did take pictures, you were disappointed when the prints came back. Out of focus, exposure problems, etc.....

I cropped this photo and it has had extensive darkroom tricks done on it to get this far.... My BIL's white coveralls really messed up the pic.
839.jpg

Making your own camo.Making your own tree stand designs. Cabela's was a catalog not a store. Tags in the mail.Bought first bow out of a J.C. Pennys catalog! OH YEA HARDLY ANY DEER in IOWA!! Sooo many changes its just easy now. Bought timber ground next to nothing like 300 dollars a acre ! Could buy a two drive wheel pickup for 3,000 then.

I am only 29 but been hunting 20 years now. Hard to believe really. I remember the ole duck marsh camo. Crap gear I froze to death on. My ole man made his own version of loc on stands. I wore a safety harness which was a belt around my waist. I used a ben pearson womens target we painted camo. I had the old duck blind camo flauge. Tinks 69 was all the rage. I used aluminum arrows and cabelas mini mag 90 grain broadheads. A 150 inch buck was like shooting a 200 incher today.

The best part is I still love it as much as I did the first day afield!!

Top Bottom