Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oversprayed Cedars

Butch973

So I hand spaded in 100+ cedars three years ago along a new fence line me and the neighbor put in. The first row was at least 15 feet from the edge of his crops but the first spray of corn his guy sprayed when the wind was blowing 40 mph and all those trees caught overspray. Half of the tree is brown and the other is still green. It’s probably been over a month, I’m wondering if they will recover or if they are gonna be toast! Frustrating for sure!

Toast. At least the brown half. The unburned parts will stay green. I ran fire through my fields last fall and again this spring. What got burned even last spring is still dead but what didn’t is still green even on the same cedars. Some just got heat damage without igniting and it’s still evident. Fire may be different than chemicals but I’d guess the end result will be the same.

15ft of clearance should have been sufficient imo. But if the wind was blasting at 40+ it’s hard telling how far the overspray would have gone

Yeah he said talk to the sprayer guy but I’m sure it’s just some young kid doing what he was told. They are just cedars, but I remember how hard that ground was and I could barely walk for two days afterwards when I planted them. Lol

Toast. At least the brown half. The unburned parts will stay green. I ran fire through my fields last fall and again this spring. What got burned even last spring is still dead but what didn’t is still green even on the same cedars. Some just got heat damage without igniting and it’s still evident. Fire may be different than chemicals but I’d guess the end result will be the same.

15ft of clearance should have been sufficient imo. But if the wind was blasting at 40+ it’s hard telling how far the overspray would have gone
For sure it even got some on the 2nd row which woulda been another 8 or 10 ft further!‍♂️

Yeah he said talk to the sprayer guy but I’m sure it’s just some young kid doing what he was told. They are just cedars, but I remember how hard that ground was and I could barely walk for two days afterwards when I planted them. Lol
I have an insurance agency, one of the most common responses I see from the person responsible for the claim is to ignore the situation, or blame someone else.

My advice would be to ask who sprayed the field, the approx time and tell him to prepare an insurance claim or he can you pay you cash as well.

100 cedars x …… (including labor to plant) . I guess that’s where you have to research the value! Good luck !

Yeah it’s a slippery slope because the farmer farms some for us and plants one of our big plots for us and also leases us his adjacent ground for hunting so don’t wanna stir the pot too much. I’m hoping they recover some. Guess it’s just a wait and see.

Yeah it’s a slippery slope because the farmer farms some for us and plants one of our big plots for us and also leases us his adjacent ground for hunting so don’t wanna stir the pot too much. I’m hoping they recover some. Guess it’s just a wait and see.
In light of this new information, I'd tread extremely lightly around this , as in I'd probably not even bring it up.
Yeah, it sucks, but is it worth losing all that?

Top Bottom