Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Perfect Scenario

The one that got away.....yesterday after I had gotten off work I set out for the tree stand. Mother nature had a different idea in mind for me. The wind wasn't in my favor for that set, so I opted for the second option. I decided to hunt a thicker fence line bordering our family property. I hunkered down between two small clumps of trees that perfectly broke up my outline. I was roughly 350 yds from the corner of the property line. This location gave me visability of our picked corn field and and the adjoining properties tiered picked cornfield. From there I could easily spot cruising bucks.

Anyways, at about 4:30 I spotted a deer in our field. I glassed the deer and saw it was a buck at 290yds walking away from me. I grunted two times, caught his attention and he looked my direction. Put his head back down and continued to walk away for another 10 steps until I wheezed. That sunk the hook, he turned 45 degrees and started walking towards me on a rope. Thing was he had to walk through a water easement where I lost sight of him. I thought he may travel up or back down away from me using the easement as concealment so I grunted two more times.

Next thing I see is the silouette of his antlers starting to crest my side of the easement. He gets to the top and stops at 80 yds scanning the hillside for the doe. He proceeds to gulp down seveal full ears of corn that was missed during the harvest. When he wasn't looking I lightly grunted and he turned and began walking towards me with his head down to the ground staring in my direction.

He got to within 40 yds and I began to draw, he must have caught my slight movement and stopped and looked nervous. I finished drawing back and as he began to quarter away I released. I didn't think to exhale and set me shot. Needless to say, I MISSED THAT OPPORTUNITY.

He gingerly strolled past me staring as I reached for another arrow. By the time I got the second knocked he was sitting directly behind me in the fencerow so I wasn't able to get the second shot off. He stood there for another 5 minutes, blew me out and rasied tail and ran.

Top Bottom