Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pheasant & Quail Numbers Dip

blake

Life Member
From the Iowa DNR:

Iowa's Pheasant Harvest Dips Below 240,000

The four year trend of above average snowfall and cool, wet springs and shrinking habitat to escape those conditions continues to take its toll on Iowa pheasants and quail. Results from the 2010-11 survey of small game hunters determined an estimated 238,000 pheasants and 11,600 quail were harvested in Iowa - both establishing new records.

"Based on our roadside surveys, our bird numbers were down 30 percent from 2009 so we expected to see a lower harvest and fewer small game hunters and we did," said Todd Bogenschutz, upland wildlife biologist for the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

Bogenschutz said hunters spent an average of nearly seven days hunting pheasants and averaged harvesting four birds. Hunter success was highest through the first two weekends of the season, which was also the peak of participation, but hunters who went out later in the year had little competition for places and birds to hunt.

Iowa also remains a destination for pheasant hunters, hosting hunters from 41 different states, with most coming from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and Missouri.

"We do have some good places to hunt pheasants around the state. What we really need is less snow and warm, dry springs," Bogenschutz said. "I can't emphasize enough the need for habitat. Pheasants have a better chance of surviving the snowfall and spring rain if they have good habitat near food sources. We can't control the weather, but if we can keep secure habitats on the landscape we can provide the birds a place to escape."

So I'm putting in 100+ acres of native grasses and other habitat, leaving many acres of food for them & I have a guy trapping for coons, coyotes, etc. I don't think there's anything else I can do. Hope it gets better, I'm doing all I can and I don't even plan on shooting any of those cool critters for many many years. Problem is, 99% of folks out there aren't doing that. If more folks don't do that and we get killed on CRP amounts- we're gonna even be worse off to a currently really bad situation.

Pheasants

Skip...I have lots of shelterbelts, restored wetlands, fields of switchgrass and with that, I do have a good population of pheasants. We keep track every year of number of roosters we shoot on the 1/4 section in Western Minnesota...and it has gone like this:

Before we planted any habitat-9 roosters

23 the next year
28 the following
then a drop to 17 last year (but I didn't get out as much either)

Otherwise pretty consistent numbers for that quarter section. The 2009 winter was hard on them, this year, I am guessing 2011 will be just OK.

Without brushy fence lines, and with some cattail sloughs being drained, the CRP habitat has become very important to the birds, I think the windbreaks and shelterbelts are even more important for winter survival. Hate to see those CRP fields go black, but I can see why they are doing it.

It is sad. I shed hunted almost every otherday from Jan. to March and kicked up 2 roosters in that time and found a lot of them dead from winter kill or predators, coyotes in are area Northeast Iowa. Its not like the old days. Everyone is planting from fence row to fence row or no fences hardly are left at all. A lot of the crp is coming out because the landowner in some places are getting 1-$200.00 more an acre to rent it out than crp.
I don't pheasant hunt but is sad to see them leaving are area. The quail were so thick when I was a kid and I can't even tell ya the last time I seen one. 10-15 years ago?

quail

It is sad. I shed hunted almost every otherday from Jan. to March and kicked up 2 roosters in that time and found a lot of them dead from winter kill or predators, coyotes in are area Northeast Iowa. Its not like the old days. Everyone is planting from fence row to fence row or no fences hardly are left at all. A lot of the crp is coming out because the landowner in some places are getting 1-$200.00 more an acre to rent it out than crp.
I don't pheasant hunt but is sad to see them leaving are area. The quail were so thick when I was a kid and I can't even tell ya the last time I seen one. 10-15 years ago?

What was the demise of the quail, fencerows plowed up...no quail in MN, so I am curious?

Top Bottom