Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Piebald Buck

G

This is a once-in-a-lifetime harvest, and we a darn proud to share it with you. Mark Mincks who is a regular contributor to the site has this hunt share with us, Congrats Mark!

I harvested a once in a lifetime whitetail deer Sunday evening. I have been hunting since the late muzzleloader season opened. I had scouted a particular area where I had seen several deer feed and I abtained permission to hunt. The first night out I saw twelve bucks and one was a exceptional eight pointer, then another buck stepped out into view and I could immediately tell he was different than anything I have seen before. He was a piebald deer and he came within fifty yards but I was not sure he was legal to shoot so I let him walk. I went home and called our local DNR officer to verify the law and he advised me he would of been legal to harvest.
So, the hunt was on and I only hoped I would get another chance but time was running out with only a week left to hunt. It took me four days to get him within range again and I made a clean kill at seventy five yards. It is not my biggest trophy but it is a trophy all of its own to say the least. I have made the decision to have a life size mount made because it is a once in a lifetime whitetail.

Mark Mincks

MarkMinks.JPG

WAY-TO-GO!! MARK. That's a BOAL story to be told start to finish. To be lucky enough to even see a piebold on the hoof is amazing. Then to be able to relocate and bag him makes a sweet story. I guess the saying "people get what they diserve" is true. I bet it was bitter-sweet to hear it was a legal deer. Glad you did'nt have to look at it in the back of someone elses truck!
So what is the law? Is "perdominantly white" the wording? What is that? 50/50. Mark's looks "half and half" to me. The standard is clearer than that is'nt it?

The DNR officer said as long as he didnt have pink eyes and was all white that he would be legal in his book. Boy I hope he is right. I called him after I shot him and he stopped by to take a look and he said all was good. This was the first piebald that I had ever seen. His feet were messed up, his rear hoofs were clubed and his hoofs are white or clear. He is going to make a neet mount. mark

Top Bottom