Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pike Fishing

Bow Ben

I am new to Iowa and was wondering if there are any lakes or rivers in eastern Iowa you would rate as "good" for pike fishing. I am looking for something a 2 hour drive or less from the quad cities. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Ben

I would have to probably say the Mississippi River, get in some of the slack water in the pools and use some big top water baits.

I would have to probably say the Mississippi River, get in some of the slack water in the pools and use some big top water baits.

Any areas around the QC area you could recommend? I just moved here and I'm not that familiar with the area yet. Thanks.

My Brother-In-Law caught about a 10 pounder out of the Harbor in Muscatine off of the Mississippi while we were fishing a bass tournament a few years ago. I have heard of people catching them in an area known as "The Breaks" south of Muscatine on the Miss. and I have also caught them right below the New Boston spillway. Don't really know of anywhere to find big ones consistently around this area, but, if you find some feeder creeks that maybe connect to a decent sized back water area on any river system around here, you could probably run into a few soon after ice out.

Mississippi is loaded with good slime. Key in on the backwaters. Shallows, pads, cattails, feeder creeks, etc. Big spinners, frogs, buzzbaits and the like will treat you well.

I went on the Mississippi on the upper part of state and caught an average of 10-20 per day. most were quite good size. I trolled with crank baits and did very very well consistently

Top Bottom