Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting clover

R

Rog

I'm thinking about planting an acre of clover in a small meadow on my property that is overrun with thistles. I'd like to know if any of you guys have done this and if so, what is the best time of year and how should I go about doing it so the clover survives. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Rog,

The best thing would be to round up the field last fall, but i have also been successful plowing the area, discing the area, letting it sit a week, and discing it agian, then spreading seed and fertilizer, and finally cultipacking it. I then watched the field for any noxious weeds and used roundup and spot sprayed those weeds. It worked very good. The first year it won't look like a picture perfect field, but in year two I had a beautiful food plot. I planted very early in the spring, as soon as i could get in with a tractor. I hope this helps.

Thanks MH,

One thing I forgot to tell you....All I have to work with is a Bobcat with a regular dump bucket. Will I be OK if I just turn the dirt over well, seed and fertilize, and then spot spray weeds?

Can you get a disk? Maybe you should consider mowing and then drenching the are with Round-Up. After the vegatation dies off you could burn it off. Then go in and lime and fertilize. Your a perfect candidate for our liquid lime and liquid organic fertilizer.

Clover seed should be planted on a well prepared seedbed, that has been cultipacked. Broadcast the seed, then cultipack again. DON'T bury the seed like corn or beans, it needs to be just pressed in or very lightly covered (such as with a heavy board or log chain). Clipping the weeds will work, Roundup can be spot sprayed, but will also kill the clover in those spots.
Had the area been mowed last fall and nuked with roundup, you could have frost seeded this time of year. (as soon as snow cover is gone - Jan.-Mar.)
Good Luck
PLK

Top Bottom