Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plug Pulled

L

Little Al

Can't beleive how fast I went from having bucks running all over to not seeing much. Went to some public land that is couple hundred acres in size where every year I see some 120 to 140 class deer. It is 1 1/2 hour trip from home so I only hunt the mornings, 6:30 to 12:00 so I have time to drag one out if I ever get the chance to shoot one. Last Sunday morning had 3 does & 2 bucks come by, the bucks were just out of my range so being I use a climber I decided on Monday I would move over. Monday I could only hunt till 10:00 but I saw 2 shooter bucks, one came in behind me, the other picked up the doe's scent and turned instead of stepping out into the open,no shot. Before I had to leave I saw 4 small bucks and a couple of does. I took a day of vacation Friday (today) hoping to get right back in the action. Today all morning all I saw was one small buck and one doe they both were going different directions. Sat there for 3hrs. watching a couple of squirrels, what a let down. O'well guess I'll go back tomorrrow and try again, maybe all the bigger bucks will be back looking for some action. Al

Had sort of a similar day. Got out Wednesday morning for a couple hours and deer were every place. Didn't want to get down. Had two bucks come trotting across a picked bean field while walking back to the truck.

Wednesday was so good I couldn't wait for the weekend. Took the day off and got in my favorite stand I’ve been saving just down wind of a bedding area. Saw one spike at sunrise, and 8 pointer at 7:00am and two doe from a different stand at 4:00pm. Hope the weekend is better. Could be the moon? Could be my stands??

Most everyone else I talked with today had similar experiences.
frown.gif

Maybe it could be you have to many out-of-state bowhunters. Thanks Iowa Bowhunters. from a Mo. Bowhunter
rambo.gif

Well Saturday was a repeat of Friday; Nothing. Got down from my stand at around 11:00 and went scouting, the only thing I came across was one little spike buck. Plenty of rubs and a few good scrapes, found a couple other stands but no body in them and far enough from me that they should not make any difference. Said I wasn't going to shoot anything smaller than 130; sure hope this doesn't turn into the same as the last couple of years of not filling my archery tag. Still looking for something to put on the wall. Al

Hey Snowgoose,

Don't go postal on me!!
grin.gif

You can always draw next year or go to Illinois? We're happy to have you come up and hunt infact you ought to move up to Iowa and buy nonresident tags in Mo.

Patrick
Sorry I didn,t get back to you on midnights now and just saw your reply. I wish i could move to Iowa. If i did i wouldnot buy a Mo. Non-resident tag . rifles and hunting in the rut ruin it. I also did buy a Illinois tag and have had a good season. no kill but saw
rockband.gif
rockband.gif
a lot of bucks. ( don,t let the legislature screw up you deer hunting.. Jim

snowgoose6,
Have you heard how many applicants for NR permits were recieved since the price increase? Wondering if theres any chance of being drawn without a pref point next year.
Are the Illinois tags drawn or first come first serve? Have just gotten permission on a place in Gallatin county....Supposed to be excellent although couldnt imagine as good as Iowa.
Just curious if you had heard.
Thanks

I don,t think the price increase made any difference! You can go to the Iowa DNR Webpage and find out how many and who got tags. i know people who did not have any points who got drawn and people with points who did not get drawn. (figure that one out???) Illinois is first come first serve.

Top Bottom