Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

pond health/status question

ReinertsonTaxidermy

Went to a farm pond yesterday trying to see what was swimming in there. What does it mean for the health of the pond when you catch a 8-10inch bullhead every single cast? I was hoping to see if there were bluegill, bass, or crappie but the bullheads would hit anything I threw within 5 seconds of being in the water. Minnows, worms, jigs, they hit everything. Is there just a mass population of stunted bullheads and nothing else? Any way to help fix this? I want to stock some other fish but should i take a few hundred of the bullheads out first? Let me know if you guys need any flathead bait, these are perfect size to use for big flatheads.

Went to a farm pond yesterday trying to see what was swimming in there. What does it mean for the health of the pond when you catch a 8-10inch bullhead every single cast? I was hoping to see if there were bluegill, bass, or crappie but the bullheads would hit anything I threw within 5 seconds of being in the water. Minnows, worms, jigs, they hit everything. Is there just a mass population of stunted bullheads and nothing else? Any way to help fix this? I want to stock some other fish but should i take a few hundred of the bullheads out first? Let me know if you guys need any flathead bait, these are perfect size to use for big flatheads.

I have the same problem with a pond I have access to.
You should take almost ALL the bull head out.
You can either drain it and restock, or throw some big ol flat heads in there. :way:
Is there any way to sain/net the pond?

I knew of a pond once with zillions of bullheads and it had to be killed off to restore it. I suspect that is what you are looking at, although I do like the flathead idea. :D

Check the the website below, lots of really knowledgeable folks on that one...

http://www.pondboss.com/

Let me know if you are ever in the Tiffin area. A dozen nightcrawlers and you can catch over 100 in an hour. We did yesterday during the hottest part of the day. Those fiesty SOB's poked a bunch of holes in my hand.

I knew a pond once that was like that but also had 10lb bass in it. It was.also 12 acres. I would imagine a small pond it would be a bad deal.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom