Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

question on building natural turkey blinds

This upcoming turkey season i wanted to hunt a river bottom on 1 of my uncles farms but i dont have a blind down there. I wanted to build 1 out of logs and branches but i wanted to get some advice on how a good way to that. If anyone has any suggestions I would very much appreciate it. Thanks

Turdy

We did the same thing on some Wapsi bottoms. With the flooding we wanted to be cheap, yet practical. Found a few big trees and "connected" them with fence posts. Then took hog wire and ran it around all the trees and posts. Zip tied the fence to the posts and then cut out a door. What took the longest was actually weaving the small branches into the hog wire. We then piled large logs and debris around the bottom of the blind. Next we put up some nylon netting around the inside with more zip ties. We also use camo burlap or potato sacks the same way. You'll have to replace this stuff every year. We built a roof and have a big tarp that we put up before season and take down after season. Our blind is large enough to accommodate 4 people VERY comfortably and is 6 1/2 feet tall at the peak so I can actually stand up straight and have room to spare. It took us the better part of a weekend to construct it. There have been 4 turkeys taken out of it and 1 coyote missed. Hope this helps.

T-T-Turdy......I got to laughing so hard typing your user name I couldn't type for awhile.

As you may already know, a fixed blind for turkey hunting definitely has it's limitations. But, building a blind in an area which is known to be a year after year producer can be a fun under taking.

There is a cow pasture close to my home which is consistantly filled with hens and strutting toms year after year. The pasture has a broken down fence corner right next to a favorite strutt zone. I cut Red Cedar limbs from a nearby tree and placed them though the squares of the woven wire fence in the corner. For the back side I cut the limb ends with a hatchet to a point and planted them in the ground. This worked great for me with a gun, but a bow may be a whole different story. Good Luck with your blind!
wink.gif

Top Bottom