Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rainy Day Birds

IADEERHUNTER

Went out this morning before the haevy lightning, we had 4 big toms coming in to range when a lonely hen started to answer the calls, she stopped about 4 feet from me and started yelping. Talk about nerve racking, the toms did not want to come any closer after that and she decided to go to the toms...such as my luck. We moved on alot of birds in the open fields, no luck this morning , gonna head back out this afternoon as long as the lightning holds off.

IADEERHUNTER,

Way to brave the elements! Good luck this afternoon, you never know it can happen fast.

Keep us up-to-date.

Iowa Whitetail Team Member,

iowalongbeard

I was out there this morning for 3 hours and heard one gobble. Didnt get wet becuase I was in a blind. I was waiting for the rain to stop so I could leave but it didnt so I picked up the blind with me inside it and walked to the decoys. Gathered them and walked most of the way back to the truck the same way until the wind started to be to much and was making a parachute out of the blind. So I folded it up an ran like -ell. Got a little wet but it could have been alot worse. Well thought I would share that with you I was even laughing at myself for it.
Bowhunt'nFool

Me and my buddy went hunting this morning in the rain and man did it pay off!!
I did the calling and he did the shooting.We set up on a field and we were not there 20 minute's and the bird's started showing up,we at one time had 4 bird's within 100 yd's of us and was spinning around the tree trying to figure out which one to shoot.He got a DANNDY!!Here are the stat's and pic's.He has a lagget 12' beard,it's the first 12' beard I've ever seen,his spur's were 1 1/2",he is a very light bird at only 20#s even but man what a gobbler.We hunted in the wind and rain but man did it pay off big.Well here's the pic's.

Me and my buddy went hunting this morning in the rain and man did it pay off!!
I did the calling and he did the shooting.We set up on a field and we were not there 20 minute's and the bird's started showing up,we at one time had 4 bird's within 100 yd's of us and was spinning around the tree trying to figure out which one to shoot.He got a DANNDY!!Here are the stat's and pic's.He has a lagget 12' beard,it's the first 12' beard I've ever seen,his spur's were 1 1/2",he is a very light bird at only 20#s even but man what a gobbler.We hunted in the wind and rain but man did it pay off big.Well here's the pic's.

AndosBird.jpg

Andy's%!_0011.JPG

Very nice bird!

Way to brave the elements and bag your bird.Can't get one sitting on the couch or sleeping in can you?

Nice field photo too, it's just like being there
smile.gif

----------------

iowalongbeard

glad to see some of you guys had a better day than we had storms got going around 5 am where i was hunting in taylor co made for a tough wet day oh well had a blast anyway

My father-in law and I went out on Saturday morning. We put up a blind on Friday evening in anticipation of the storms. We got to the blind at 5 am on Saturday morning in Jefferson County. We were greeted by thunder and lightning, heavy winds and heavy rain. At 7:15 I was thinking we should have stayed in bed. We had not spotted or heard any turkeys. Finally, in more of a reaction to the boredom and hopelessness my father-in law shook a box call a couple of times to mimic a gobble. Less than two minutes later a large lonesome Tom slowly ambled in looking for the other gobbler he had just heard. He didn't pay much attention to the hen decoy, but he was looking around quite a bit for a potential battle. I shot him at 30 yards. We couldn't get an accurate weight on him because he was so wet from all the rain. We guessed him at around 25 lbs., 10 inch beard. I've killed three birds now, and two of them in absolutely miserable conditions. No matter how bad the weather is, I will never stay in bed during turkey season. Patience and persistence pays off.

Top Bottom