Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Record Wisconsin Sturgeon

blake

Life Member
NEWS!

Big fish! Age of record-setting Wisconsin sturgeon?

doc4b7ad3e0070a2228564900.jpg

State DNR says nearly 100 years old

Oshkosh, Wis. (AP) - A Wisconsin wildlife official says a record-setting sturgeon speared over the weekend may have been more than 100 years old.

Ron Bruch, a fisheries supervisor with the Wisconsin DNR says officials haven’t yet determined the age of the 212-pound fish. But he says a preliminary look suggests it’s at least a century old.

According to The Reporter of Fond du Lac, Wis., if that’s true the female sturgeon would have laid some 11 million eggs in her lifetime.

The sturgeon was speared last Saturday by Ron Grishaber of Appleton. It was 84 inches long, or about the height of Milwaukee Bucks center Andrew Bogut. It was registered at the Harrison Station, west of the village of Sherwood.

The previous record was a 188-pound, 79.5-inch sturgeon caught in 2004 by Dave Piechowski of Redgranite. That fish was about five inches shorter than Grishaber’s.

Dozens of spearers caught fish that weighed at least 100 pounds since the season opened. A record 34 such fish were registered, with 31 from Lake Winnebago and the other three on upriver lakes.

As of Sunday, Lake Winnebago already was at nearly 40 percent of its adult female harvest cap. Upriver lakes were at more than 50 percent of their cap.

This post is for informational purposes only.

i go up for the big sturgeon spearin weekend every year. i did not see that fish but there was alot of talk about it. i did see some 100 lbs + fish. its always a fun weekend up there. did you guys know they drink beer up there?? (haha)

It's def tough knowing that fish was so old, but for any of you to say that you wouldn't wanna spear a STATE RECORD your lying.

Not sure why someone would want to keep a fish like that.... I love to eat fish, but I dont keep many, ESPECIALLY a trophy fish like that....

Here is a question for you, why do people catch and keep paddle fish? For the same reason people in Wisconsin spear sturgeons. Like like to eat them and get money for the eggs. Was he suppose to let that one swim buy and spear a smaller one?

Would you let a booner walk to shoot a smaller buck? Think not.

Here is a question for you, why do people catch and keep paddle fish? For the same reason people in Wisconsin spear sturgeons. Like like to eat them and get money for the eggs. Was he suppose to let that one swim buy and spear a smaller one?

Would you let a booner walk to shoot a smaller buck? Think not.

Paddlefish and sturgeon don't start to spawn until they are older, and they only spawn when conditions are perfect. Sometimes that can be 3 to 7 years in some situations. I don't frown on a guy for catching/killing them nor do I think he is a bad person, it just makes me sad is all.

Hey, I'm a fish nerd, that's what I went to college for. It's awesome that there are actually seasons for the above mentioned fish, it means that someone is managing them correctly for people to enjoy.

Comparing a 100 year old fish that fought the odds and survived to 5 year old whitetail that fought the odds and survived is like comparing caviar to jerky, not quite the same! :D :way:

Top Bottom