Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Response from General Mills

B

Bobcat

NateW, where's the GM response, and your response to their response? The only thing I see is your original letter.

Steve

I finally got a response from General Mills in regards to the letter I sent them on the new alliance with the anti-hunting HSUS. Below is my original letter, the GM response and my response to their response:

I am very disappointed with General Mills decision to become aligned with the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). I would hope that this was in fact a misprint on your website that you intended to mean the American Humane Society. The Human Society of the United States is one this country's leading animal-rights organizations, their policies have little to do with pets, and everything to do with radical politics. I strongly urge the reader of this memo at GM to look at the HSUS website and see for themselves the positions taken by the HSUS. I am convinced that General Mills would not be so inclined to allow their packaging to be act as a billboard for this type of agenda.

Dear Mr. McCarty:

Thank you for contacting General Mills. We are sorry that you found our premium inappropriate and appreciate the time you took to share your opinion.

The "Pets and their Celebrities" calendar promotes the benefits - and responsibilities - of pet ownership. It is a responsible message. It is not "anti-hunting." It is not "anti-fishing." The calendar pictures celebrities and their pets, with a message of responsible pet ownership. But we're aware of the reaction this has spawned with hunting, fishing and outdoors enthusiasts - and we're taking calls and letters like yours very seriously. Your views will certainly be shared with the decision-makers involved in this and future decisions regarding our promotional tie-in partners.

We appreciate your interest and hope you continue to enjoy our products and promotions.

Sincerely,

Jessica Vescio

General Mills
Consumer Services

>Original Message From: toddm@cbiowa.com
>
> I am shocked to discover the new marketing campaign that such a fine company such as General Mills has entered into via your relationship with HSUS. To provide a platform for such a radical fringe group is disturbing. Many people don't know or confuse HSUS with the LOCAL humane society which does a great deal of good in their various communities. HSUS, which they have stated many time nor ever retracted, considers the value of a child to be equal to that of an Ant nor have they created one shelter, provided any support nor done anything more than just use a national platform for their less than logical views. While it would appear that you are attempting to market towards children with this product branding arrangement, I would think that an upstanding company such as General Mills care more about children than they do ants.Sincerely Todd McCartyCouncil Bluffs IA

I'm still waiting for a response. Other than the auto reply the 1st day, I've been patiently waiting. I wonder is it will be the same as yours, sludge?

I am sure it will be. I sent the info to about 7-8 friends, they all got the same auto response.

As of right now I am the only one that received a second letter.

I finally got my response from general mills. Looks like we made an impact...GOOD JOB BOYS!!!

Thank you for contacting us to express your concern with the "Pets and their Celebrities" calendar currently being included with Golden Grahams cereal. The calendar promotes the benefits - and responsibilities - of pet ownership

We did not anticipate that a calendar promoting responsible pet ownership would be in any way controversial. Our focus was on the message the calendar conveys, about the wonders and benefits of being a pet owner, and reinforcing the responsibilities of pet ownership. We felt the calendar was an excellent vehicle to communicate that topic. In no way was it intended to convey that General Mills is against hunting, fishing or farming. General Mills is not anti-hunting, anti-fishing or anti-farming. We have even honored champion fishermen on the Wheaties box, most recently in August of 1999.

But we also now realize that some of the views espoused by HSUS, from whom we obtained the calendars, are not shared by an important number of customers and consumers. That point has been driven home by consumer contacts like yours, and we are taking your views to heart. Your views will certainly be shared with the decision-makers involved in this and future decisions regarding our promotional tie-in partners.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and make us aware of your feeling on this matter.

Sincerely,

Jennie Taylor

General Mills
Consumer Services

I finally got my response today, it is the same as the one AJ recieved, except it is signed by a different person.

Steve

I finally receiced a response today. It's the same as AJ's and Bobcat's, again from another person and sent to me with my name wrong. I guess they forgot to change the salutation. Either that or my name has changed.
smile.gif

Dear Mr. Bills:

Thank you for contacting us to express your concern with the "Pets and their Celebrities" calendar currently being included with Golden Grahams cereal. The calendar promotes the benefits - and responsibilities - of pet ownership

We did not anticipate that a calendar promoting responsible pet ownership would be in any way controversial. Our focus was on the message the calendar conveys, about the wonders and benefits of being a pet owner, and reinforcing the responsibilities of pet ownership. We felt the calendar was an excellent vehicle to communicate that topic. In no way was it intended to convey that General Mills is against hunting, fishing or farming. General Mills is not anti-hunting or anti-fishing. We have even honored champion fisherman on the Wheaties box, most recently in August of 1999.

But we also now realize that some of the views espoused by HSUS, from whom we obtained the calendars, are not shared by an important number of customers and consumers. That point has been driven home by consumer contacts like yours, and we are taking your views to heart. Your views will certainly be shared with the decision-makers involved in this and future decisions regarding our promotional tie-in partners.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and make us aware of your feeling on this matter.

Sincerely,

Glenda Ellis

General Mills
Consumer Services

I finally got mine also it was identical to yours "150 Class" signed by the same person also. I would have to say it helped writing all the letters to them. Good job everyone!!!!!!

BB

Top Bottom