Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

River Walleyes.. Newbie question

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I mentioned on another post that I am new to river walleye fishing. I went out for the first time yesterday afternoon in the rain and cold and managed to catch 2 walleye around 16" on a firetiger colored looking minnow plug. I was fishing in approx. 3-4ft of water near the river dams. Each time I tried to use a 1/8 oz jig I could only manage 3-4 casts without getting it snagged and having to break off my line. I lost another 3-4 fish off my hook before getting them in with the minnow plug.

What is the trick to using jigs without getting snagged all the time? Any other tips would also be appreciated.... ie. best places in the river to fish now, etc....

Thanks....

Just make sure your line is always tight, no slack, if you're vertical jigging its easier said than done, if you're casting and know how deep it is and how fast its flowing, I usually give it like 13 seconds from it hitting the water and start cranking slow and raising your rod tip up as you reel.

Wow, that dam must have an awful lot of debris for you to be snagging that much. Just remember that with a jig and a slow retrieve to keep your rod tip up a little bit, it will keep your jig head off the rocks. If you're fishing that shallow it really shouldn't even matter if you're on the bottom so only give it a second or two before you start to reel. Sounds like you're already in a good spot. Don't give up on those jigs though!

If your getting snaged alot using 1/8 oz go down to a 1/16. You want you use as lite a jig as you can and still maintain contact with the bottom. If you are fishing in rocks, most snags you get are retrievable. There is a trick to it, and it takes practice. Here is a method to try.

When you get snaged, instead of just breaking it off. Start out with rod tip at a 11 or 12 oclock position, (tite line). With your free hand pull your line in front of the reel and behind the first eye. This will cause the tip of your pole to come down to a 8 or 9 oclock position. Now now lift up hard on the rod (your trying to strech the line a little). When the line is very tite, let go with your free hand, snapping the line. At the same time dropping the tip of the pole back down toward the snag. Then quickly pick up the slack, most of the time in the rocks you will pop your jig off what ever it's hung on. You are trying to sling shot your jig away from what you are hung on so to speak.

Good luck I hope this helps. Good luck fishing, the walleyes fishing is really starting to pick up!

If your getting snaged alot using 1/8 oz go down to a 1/16. You want you use as lite a jig as you can and still maintain contact with the bottom. If you are fishing in rocks, most snags you get are retrievable. There is a trick to it, and it takes practice. Here is a method to try.

When you get snaged, instead of just breaking it off. Start out with rod tip at a 11 or 12 oclock position, (tite line). With your free hand pull your line in front of the reel and behind the first eye. This will cause the tip of your pole to come down to a 8 or 9 oclock position. Now now lift up hard on the rod (your trying to strech the line a little). When the line is very tite, let go with your free hand, snapping the line. At the same time dropping the tip of the pole back down toward the snag. Then quickly pick up the slack, most of the time in the rocks you will pop your jig off what ever it's hung on. You are trying to sling shot your jig away from what you are hung on so to speak.

Good luck I hope this helps. Good luck fishing, the walleyes fishing is really starting to pick up!

So do you think the best spring fishing is ahead?.... I was under the impression from others that maybe the spawn was now in effect thus slowing the fishing?

Thanks for all your insight....

The spawn is deffinately upon us on rivers. But, that doesn't mean the fishing is over. They do not all spawn at the same time. I just picked up a limit of nice eaters yesterday morning. Good luck

Top Bottom