Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rookie needs help

Team Fugarwe

Hunting deer for the first time this fall during the early muzzleloader Oct 15-23 season. Can any of you set me straight on tactics during this time? ie calls, scents, likely blind locations etc.

Near the end of October is when I start hitting the calls alot more than the beginning of the season. You are going to need scent killer which you can pick up just about any scents I usually have a dominant buck attractment, but I usually use it as a kind of cover up scent.

When your setting your stand up or blind I see it as simple as where you have good deer traffic and play the wind.

If at all possible best bet is to set up on a food source in evenings scent control is key. I like to set up in a tree. I like (observation stands) more ground I can see the better off your gonna be. Mornings I like to set up in timber close to bedding areas to catch them coming back from feeding. I wouldnt really worry bout calls to much but could do a little grunting if you see a buck might get him curious. You could put some buck urine on a scrape if there is one close by being used. But for sure food soucre is best bet to get one on the ground as these deer will be getting ready to rut and bucks will be scoping out the does a little to see what their options are. Goodluck to you!

If at all possible best bet is to set up on a food source in evenings scent control is key. I like to set up in a tree. I like (observation stands) more ground I can see the better off your gonna be. Mornings I like to set up in timber close to bedding areas to catch them coming back from feeding. I wouldnt really worry bout calls to much but could do a little grunting if you see a buck might get him curious. You could put some buck urine on a scrape if there is one close by being used. But for sure food soucre is best bet to get one on the ground as these deer will be getting ready to rut and bucks will be scoping out the does a little to see what their options are. Goodluck to you!
Good advice right there.

Top Bottom