Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut

cwmatthews

What is everybody seeing as far as the rut goes. I've been out hard for the last 3 weeks and have yet to see the good rut craziness going on like in the many years past. The only thing I have been seeing chasing is the mid to smaller bucks. I hunt central iowa and the windy weather has really put a damper on things but to me it almost seems that the big mature bucks are on lock down. I've seen a couple of shooter bucks with does locked down out in pretty open fields. Is it already locked down or is it just a late rut. What are your opinions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not locked yet but real close. IMO </div></div>
I agree.

I'm seeing quite a few small bucks hit along the road the last several days and did see a nice wide buck out in the open headed towards some does that were feeding. He was just walking along slowly. I did see a nice one that had his nose to the ground though and running at a pretty good clip also yesterday. I think we a just a day or so away from the real excitement. There is a full moon on the 13th and there is always movement in the days before and after a full moon. Even better with the rut starting anytime.

I did see a nice buck today but it was when I was getting into the timber and he was with a doe. Got into position and did some calling but he wanted none of it. He was staying put with that doe.

Top Bottom