Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scoring deer

Big Timber

I have scored typical whitetail before but my question is how do you tell what constitutes a typical from a non-typical. Is it the number of abnormal points or what? I was trying to score my buddies deer last night and I didn't know if it was typical or not. It had 5 abnormal points and two that came off of the g2 on both sides. It almost looked like a muley deer. Any info appreciated. I'm scoring on p&y or b&c scoring systems.

Thanks,

BT

bt, I think that you can score any rack typical or non it all depends on wich way it scores better. when you score non you still have to deduct the typical frame and then add the abbnormals. where as on a typical all the abnormals get deducted along with the typical frame. I hope this helps you. personally I'm only interested in the gross score, that is what really tells you how big it is. just my opinion.

Big Timber, all you need to measure a rack non-typ is one non-typ point that is a minimum of an inch long. Generally speaking if a rack that makes a record book either way will place higher in the non-typ category because there are less of them. Boone and Crockett provides score sheets for either typ or non-typ at www.boone-crockett.org and I believe the site will calculate for you also. With the number of non-typ points that you are talking about if they have any significant lengths you're probably measuring a non-typ. Hope this helps.

Allamakee Grand Slam B+C, P+Y and Iowa DNR Official Measurer

Top Bottom