Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Second Hunt Ever Second Success - little long

H

h4444

Second deer hunt ever second wallhanger (but unfortunately, it won't be a shoulder mount on the wall).

As soon as I get pictures back I'll get one posted.

I ended up with a 10 pointer that dressed I'm guessing a bit over 200 lbs or so.

It was for sure a short hunt.....story-time.

Myself and a friend were still hunting while everyone else in the group was in stands. We waited till just before shooting time to hit the woods.

As I made my way back to the spot I took my deer last year the woods were full of activity. I saw around 12 deer on my way in. All of them were on ridges and/or too far away to get a shot. If nothing else they were certainly moving toward other hunters.

It took me about 15 to 20 minutes to make it back to my spot where I harvested last years buck, as I sat down while cooling off I was clearing some small twigs out of the way etc then about 20 to 30 minutes after I sat down across the valley about 60 to 70 yards away (straight line) came this buck.....He was taking his time and perfectly broadside. Barely moving he stayed broadside and was straight ahead,,,,nice big body, wide rack, and fairly high tines,,,,I could clearly see his brow tines from my position. I'm going to guess his brow tines are 6 to 7 inches each.

Anyway, I aligned the bead sights on my Mossberg 500 smoothbore wishing I had better equipment,,,,cause I sure didn't want this one getting away and fired. Low and behold the deer turned and was running across the valley and up the hill straight at me full tilt.

Well, my brain finally started functioning once the buck made it half-way too me and I chucked a new slug in, because I was scared to death that I blew the shot (remember I'm a newbie) and this buck was haulin' ass right at me. I remember, I really tried to lead him for my second shot,,,I'm guessing I tried leading him by around 10 to 15 feet and fired a second shot.

Well, I probably had the easiest retrieval of anyone in my group the deer went down approximately 20 feet away from me directly to my right.

After field dressing him and dragging him out I followed the blood trail, it was my first shot that got him, just behind the sholder and above the heart taking out both lungs for a clean and quick kill.

The second shot on the run barely nicked one of his back legs,,,,I'm surprised it got anything.

It was right after I got him down I found out another hunter over on an another ridge heard my first shot and watched the whole thing......that way nobody can say I'm lying,,,,I really do have a witness.

The folks in the group were guessing he might score around 140 B&C, but alas he won't be mounted. Unfortunately, when we were skinning the cape we cut it too short for a shoulder mount. I'm definately keeping that rack.

All that before 8:15 AM......

I can't wait to get those pictures!!!!

He did his fair share of damage to trees and such the bases of his rack up a good ways near his brow tines are just full of bark and moss.....a lot of character.

Two year two bucks. I'm thankful for the good luck. As some of the guys came in for lunch in jest they were asking me to go out with them as their lucky charm.

Thanks,
H4444

LET ME BE THE FIRST TO SAY WAY TO GO... AINT IT AMAZING HOW MANY TIMES IT IS THE FIRST SHOT THAT ACTUALLY IS THE BEST SHOT, POST YOUR PICTURES AS SOON AS YOU GET THEM. ONCE AGAIN CONGRATS.

Good Job! You could always try and get a cape from someone else in your group.

Almost all taxidermists have extra capes in their freezer so you should be able to get one for your deer. Congrats.
BT

Top Bottom