Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Second Hunt, Second Chance Spot and Stalk

tracer

PMA Member
Second time out in May, I glassed a Tom in a plowed field from the road. This was where I had seen Gobblers pre scouting the week before. I would have to walk to 2 acres in and 2 acres across. On my walk in I found a $20 bill on the ATV trail ( there's your sign, lol ) . I get in there , mid field, work my way along a creek that providing good cover. Glassed the fence line and I could see him fanning. Worked my way from the creek bank towards the bird up the fence line. I closed the distance to the bird about mid-field, and a Tom pops out in the adjacent field to right 10 yards, but I didn't get the gun up in time to get a shot before he disappeared into brush line ahead of me. I sat down in the fence row, and made some soft yelps.
Waited 10 minutes, carefully glassed the field to the right ahead of me, and spotted the Tom fanning the hen. Games back on! This time I crawled along the planted field with the brush line for cover. I get up to where I figured he would be, had a peak through the brush line to see where he was at, and funny enough he was doing the same thing looking for me. I see him in the brush, so I backed up and laid down. He starts fanning again and so I put the bead on him and the Remmy did its job.

spurs 1 inch
beard 6 inches
21 LBS Eastern turkey, Ontario, Canada

Good one!!
Cool story. When I saw the pic of the twenty with the maple leaves on the ground I knew that was Ontario, ha.
Congrats!

Congrats!!!! Great story/hunt!
How’s bird populations in that part of Canada? Do winters hit them like they do deer, etc when it’s bad?

Thanks, yes Sligh especially in the snow belt regions where I am turkey numbers dipped but are doing well now after some easy winters.

Top Bottom