Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 2182 Shooting feral hogs from an aircraft

Does Iowa even have a feral hog problem? I've seen videos of this in Southern states where feral hogs are rampant. But in Iowa?

We had a few a decade or 2 ago. The dnr/hunters got after it fast & declared “hog free in iowa”. MO has some so I bet it’s possible they make way to iowa. I sure hope we don’t get em. Kill em all.
F60CEF71-7DFD-4C6A-8741-2B59F244A707.jpeg

Last edited:
I dont want em but damn it be fun for a hot minute.
For sure. A blast to hunt and I totally get why people THINK they want them. If they bred like deer and could be controlled they would be ok but they have 2 litters a year with no set breeding season. Gestation is 3 months, 3 weeks, and 3 days and sexual maturity is 6-8 months. Easy to see how quick they can get out of hand

Not with all the food plots. :p ;)
I hear ya, they'd be able to keep their bellies full throughout the year, but I'd think a few consecutive days of negative temps would kill them off since they don't have fur coats. Can they survive any substantial duration of brutal cold temps, exposed to the external elements, even with full bellies?

Wouldn't the mortality rate be high for feral hogs this far north, come winter?
As long as they could still get to food somewhere, I really don't think the cold we have would limit them. The cold could make them easier to spot and therefore kill...but cold all by itself would not keep them down, IMO.

FWIW, I few years back there was a local legend of a group of "wild" hogs in the Columbus Junction area. I cannot verify any of these accounts, but apparently it isn't a tough task to take out the tuskers when there is:

Enough snow to see them and track them well.

Enough snow to support pursuit via snowmobiles and/or ATV's.

Combine those elements and some committed farmers, or friends of farmers, high powered rifles, etc, and my understanding is that there are no more wild hogs in that area. :)

FWIW, I few years back there was a local legend of a group of "wild" hogs in the Columbus Junction area. I cannot verify any of these accounts, but apparently it isn't a tough task to take out the tuskers when there is:
I've heard that CJ story as well, escaped from a "farmer".

The MIL hit a wild boar on Highway 30 over by Montour, an escapee from a "game farm". It was already dead in the road, hit by a semi, but it sent her car in the air, spun around and slid into the ditch backwards. She might have been the only person in Iowa that could claim she hit a Russian Boar with her car.

I agree that the cold isn't going to be an issue, they will find a brush pile to burrow down into or gather things to make a nest.

I hear ya, they'd be able to keep their bellies full throughout the year, but I'd think a few consecutive days of negative temps would kill them off since they don't have fur coats. Can they survive any substantial duration of brutal cold temps, exposed to the external elements, even with full bellies?
They develop thick coats in cold weather. Even down here in Georgia, there is a very noticeable difference in their coats in January versus July.

Top Bottom