Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sheds

Exactly, State Park bucks, they are quite the group.

Congrats on your find,

TLH, Founder - iowawhitetail.com -

Most bucks in my part on NW Iowa still carry. Some of the stressed and run-down bucks dropped early like always but the majority have yet to give up there head gear. I hear reports from coyote hunters that several large bucks were spotted as late as last Sunday. We have never had a winter anything like this one in my many years of shed hunting and I know some great sheds are covered with snow and ice at this time, hope we get a break soon. Prime time is close so get to the timbers before the tree rats.

Good Luck, IAdroptine

Considering DC's strong statement I went out at dusk and the first deer I saw was a 1/2 buck ( carrying one side ) the next was a group of 3 bucks, one large body had both sides off, one had a 1/2 the last one had both sides, again the last two were younger.

See my attached photo,HalfABuck

I have only seen 3 young bucks with antlers in the last 2 weeks - that's out of about 300 deer we have seen. If you are seeing bucks with antlers here in Iowa at this point in time considering the weather we have had, they must have an incredible food source, the very best in cover, and are the healthiest animals in the nation!

We finally found the match to the 82 incher Wednesday afternoon. Will try to post a picture soon.

Nice photo Tony.

Prior to this year, I never got serious about shed hunting till the first weekend in February. Prior to this year my first fresh find was on January 18. As of yesterday afternoon, my friend and I have already found 30 sheds, 6 matched sets, 11 record book sheds (over 60 inches) and we think we spotted 3 more antlers laying in the field we glassed yesterday evening. If you want to learn more, send me an e-mail.

Goin' scoopin' again today. Taking a 12 year old kid with me. Should be great fun.

DC,

I have watched your tape and picked up a few tips. I enjoy shed hunting but not near as much as I like to hunt or photograph in the Fall. Plus you obviously make more time to shed than most and that does give you some expertise.

Our part of the state is very different than where you are at. We are very "Open Country" and don't have near the animals that you have.

As we have spoke in the past your insights are helpful but just one persons thoughts, as are mine and anyone else that cares to communicate on our Conference Board.

Hopefully we can all share our interest in the Iowa Whitetail on this Conference. My love is the animal itself, not in comparing my antlers to yours.

Well back to the weekend...wrestling meets, basketball games and most importantly my family.

Good Luck In The Future,

TLH

[This message has been edited by TLH (edited 02-03-2001).]

Hi guys,
Don't get much fresher than this, my second shed of the season fell just this morning. It must have been off for a short time when I came along, blood was still on top of the snow as the rains started, yes rain. Twenty degrees and raining. I won't complain, anything to help rid us from all this ice and snow. Saw several bucks, one B&C, one with 70 inches on the left side with a 18" spike on the right and two 150 class 10 pointers. I would love to walk onto that spike, will keep you posted.
Mike

Mike,

Got some of the rain down are way also the last one we had really melted the snow then it colder and 5 inches fell. Anyway, Congrats on your find, send some pics of your finds if you can.

Good Luck!

TLH

Mike,

How'd you turn out today, any sheds? We've been at a wrestling tourney all day and just got back, seemed like a good day to walk.

TLH

Tony, Only found other shed hunters yesterday, had the deer going crazy so I backed off in hopes they might calm down.

Good luck on Wednesday and Happy Birthday!
Oh ya, don't forget the Ben Gay.

Hope to make the Deer Classic, see ya there.
Mike

Top Bottom