Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shout Out to IW(SKIP) & Midwest Hab.(Rob)

2-bucks

PMA Member
I was lucky enough to buy nice deer property and have taken several 160-180 deer off it over the years without many big changes needed by me, BUT with the help and advice of Skip and Rob a couple years ago I have spent some more time and made some improvements over the last two years. These have resulted in a higher deer density and significantly more mature bucks hanging around all year. It used to be that I would have a couple nice ones around during season but all big bucks would disappear for winter through summer.

Overall this whole site and everyone's sharing of knowledge is fantastic!

The three pictures below are from the first 5 days I had cameras up. In the first ten years I owned this property, I never had a nice buck on camera before October. They always showed up and led to good hunts and harvests, but the the fine tuning changes have kind of blown my mind with how quickly they have panned out.

Great Job Iowa Whitetail!

T__00021.JPG
T__00010z.JPG
T__00005.JPG

For some context, my farm is 120 acres of mostly timber. 60 acres river bottom and 60 "high" ground with a big ravine through it. So, almost all cover with 2 food plots (4 acres total) and no ag land near by. I thought I had all the cover I needed.

- TSI in 2 big areas for more bedding and increased forage throughout the year. By far the biggest improvement.
- Changed one entry route. I knew this was needed but hearing it again shamed me into doing it.
- Put more effort into more year round food in the plots. I use to mainly just have fall brassica and some clover. More clover, some soy beans, and even radish and buckwheat on a failed bean area last summer that they liked from July through November.
- burned the whole 60 acres of bottoms this spring. Helped bedding a little but added a lot of forage spring and early summer especially.

Top Bottom