Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Slug Preference

A

AJ

Just wondering what everyone feels is the best performing slug out there. I don't have a rifled barrel so I shoot rifled slugs. I love the Rotweil Brenneke slugs, they are some accurate bone-crushers but not much for expansion. I am not very impressed with the cheap rem.,fed., and win. slugs. Their accuracy is poor to say the least, but they are still pretty deadly at close range.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Have a safe season.

AJ

If you are going to spend that money on slugs why not spend the 200 bones on a good rifled slug barrel...it only makes since to improve your accuracy.

Only my 2 pennies worth

I don't have a rifled barrel but I do put a rifled choke tube for my 12 gauge Browning BPS Game Gun. It shoots like a charm. Shot a button buck this year
frown.gif
and a 9 point
smile.gif
I shoot Federal Barn-x Sabots. Both the deer I shot didn't run more than 30 yards. Also these slugs preform well at longer ranges. So go with the rifled barrel or choke tube and go with the Federal Barn-X Sabots.

My 2 cents worth!

deerslayer22788

Brenneke's are first rate for smooth bore barrels....Winchester Supreme Sabots work very well in rifled barrels.

I bought my first rifled slug barrel this year for one of my Wingmasters. My shoulder LOVES the 3 inchers!

I tested several and for me and way, the most acurate was the Fed. Premium 3 inch copper sabots. I also shot some Fed. Barnes expanders and couldn't tell any difference in groups at 100 yards.

How did they do on a deer?

I will let you know in January during the late season doe hunt. I didn't get a shot.

that is the way it works sometimes. I went into the fields with more confidence that ever before and never got a clean chance! still had a blast though.

The Barns Expanders put a clean hole through both deer and shreded the heart and punched a hole in both the lungs. Great slugs!!!!!!
Put them down hard and fast.

deerslayer22788

I shoot Winchester partition golds out of my Browning Gold Stalker. 1900 ft. per second muzzle velocity makes for a very flat shooting slug gun. Sight in dead on at 100 yards with .7 in high at 50 yards and 4 in. low at 150. Cant hardly beat that.

Not being a gun wizard, I only have a smooth bore slug barrel with open sights. I shoot Winchester(foster type)rifled slugs ($1.99 a box) and off the bench can group good at 50 yards, can hit at 100 yards if I can hold steady. But rarely shoot that far.

If I was to get into saboted high dollar slugs to try to increase range and accuracy I would definately get a rifled barrel and probably a scope.

I shoot 3-inch Winchester Super-X Rifled slugs through my smooth bore Winchester 1300. and I feel extremely confident in my ability to shoot them accurately.

Took my first deer, a button buck,from the ground last year and dropped him at fifteen yards. This year I shot a doe from a treestand on the first morning of second season. It was around a seventy yard shot and it turned out to be a great hit. Someone should have let the deer know that though, it walked around with it buddies for about ten minutes like nothing happened. Finally it went down, only to stumble back into range again ten minutes later when I landed the second and final blow. My first shot tunrned out to hit about midway between front and hind legs and exitted just ahead of the far front shoulder. It must have only caught one lung because it took a while to play out. Another hunt I won't forget.

God Bless

Top Bottom