Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sore/wound/scab on deer leg

Fishbonker

Life Member
My son took his first deer Tuesday. It was a spike buck
frown.gif
. I noticed a growth/scab/wound/ichy spot on its front leg just at the knee joint on the outside. It was about 2 inches long 1/2-3/4 inch tall and one inch wide. Looked like a dirt clod but it wouldn't brush off. Around the scaby thing was open skin that looked dry with out any drainage. It didn't smell bad. The liver etc looked good, no foul smell from the carcass. I didn't see the deer before it was dead so I don't know if it was bearing any wieght on the leg. The hoof on that leg looked to have normal wear. My concern is that it was a tumor or cyst of some kind rather than just a wound. Would any of you not eat the meat? Has anybody seen an old wound on a deer that looked like this? I hate to not eat it as he is very proud of provideing meat for us (even though we already have two in the freezer). Any imput appreciated.

The 'Bonker
ps: I sure is fun to tease him that the deer couldn't run fast enough to get away.

Congrat's to your son!!!
I would contact the D.N.R and check with them to see if the deer is ok to eat.I would not worry to much about it but it's better to be safe then sorry.It's probably just a old battle scar from the rut or something,those young deer get there butt kicked all November long by the big boy's.

Fishbonker,
If you can't smell the meat you shouldn't have any worries. The wound could have been from multiple things but I if the deer was still alive when your son shot it, you should be fine. If anything, you could cut out a portion of the shoulder just to be safe but I'd say your fine. If it's not discolored and doesn't have a distinct odor you should be okay. Like buckhunter said though, better to be safe then sorry. Congrats to you and your son>
BT

I would not hesitate to eat it. If it was foul smelling or full of gange green, that would be different. Even if it was a cyst, it wouldn't hurt anything anyway.

Congrats to your son.

IaCraig

Top Bottom