Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Southern Counties Hunting

jdk81

I recently got a new 30-06 and want to use it this antler less season. Do you guys know of any public land that I should look into? Preferably in South Central Iowa. Or if you have any land you would like a doe taken off of please respond!

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Check with Skip he knows the late season doe/shed buck spots like the back of his hand!

(inside joke)

Actually there are some nice public spots not far off 135, but doe numbers may be down due to EHD

Ha! That's pretty good. :). Do public tracts allow late ant season? Those places generally get pounded pretty hard & deer #'s lower. Good luck, I have some friends coming to my place but I am sure theres some landowners on here in need of a careful & trusting eye to shoot some does in high pop pockets.

later antlerless is private land only.
Here's an idea....since in the past 7 to 8 years our deer herd has gone from 800, 000 to less than 200, 000 , why don't you take that new rifle and go coyote hunting or anything besides anterless!!!! This is directed more at our legislators than anything. Do your homework boys..deer numbers are down! We can thank insurance companies putting pressure on legislators! We can slow it down...stop shooting so many does!

Here's an idea....since in the past 7 to 8 years our deer herd has gone from 800, 000 to less than 200, 000 , why don't you take that new rifle and go coyote hunting or anything besides anterless!!!! This is directed more at our legislators than anything. Do your homework boys..deer numbers are down! We can thank insurance companies putting pressure on legislators! We can slow it down...stop shooting so many does!

Here's an idea.

I'm under the impression that 10% of Iowans hunt. Not sure if that figure is the number of small game licenses sold or those who buy deer licenses. Feel free to find more accurate numbers, as I'll assume that is the deer hunters, which might be an over estimation.

Iowa's human population is just over 2 million.

I like deer hunting as much as the next guy, but who am I to say that the deer herd should be managed to my expectations if I am a "minority"? Granted, I don't want the Farm Bureau and the Insurance industry to totally control the situation, but I realize there are many Iowa residents who are neutral or also feel the deer population needs reduction.

On the way home from work tonight, I stopped to help someone drag a wounded deer off the highway. Six miles from that intersection, a deer has laid in the ditch since Tuesday. My guess is that there are two people out there that might think there are still too many deer.

Should the deer herd be managed for those who want to see 20?30?40?50? deer a day as they hunt? Or should the DNR take into consideration all of the other stakeholders in this situation?

Here's an idea.

I'm under the impression that 10% of Iowans hunt. Not sure if that figure is the number of small game licenses sold or those who buy deer licenses. Feel free to find more accurate numbers, as I'll assume that is the deer hunters, which might be an over estimation.

Iowa's human population is just over 2 million.

I like deer hunting as much as the next guy, but who am I to say that the deer herd should be managed to my expectations if I am a "minority"? Granted, I don't want the Farm Bureau and the Insurance industry to totally control the situation, but I realize there are many Iowa residents who are neutral or also feel the deer population needs reduction.

On the way home from work tonight, I stopped to help someone drag a wounded deer off the highway. Six miles from that intersection, a deer has laid in the ditch since Tuesday. My guess is that there are two people out there that might think there are still too many deer.

Should the deer herd be managed for those who want to see 20?30?40?50? deer a day as they hunt? Or should the DNR take into consideration all of the other stakeholders in this situation?

For you information...the number has gotten lower than the dnr wants it.....thank you government!!! The numbers are so low now compared to 7-8 years ago...you couldn't hold a youngsters attention for 15 minutes. Aren't we supposed to pass this tradition down?????? Oh Ya.....what the heck is insurance for??? To get rich on you and me ???

For you information...the number has gotten lower than the dnr wants it.....thank you government!!! The numbers are so low now compared to 7-8 years ago...you couldn't hold a youngsters attention for 15 minutes. Aren't we supposed to pass this tradition down?????? Oh Ya.....what the heck is insurance for??? To get rich on you and me ???

So the goal of herd management is to hold the attention of young hunters? If that is the case, I would have never stuck with deer hunting since I started in 1978. There were very few deer and most people who sent in licenses to the drawing got buck only tags. I prayed for an any sex tag so that I had a better chance of getting meat in the freezer. I'm not saying I want to go back to that era/populations, just saying that everything needs to be put in perspective. What is the deer population that the majority of Iowans think is acceptable?

So the goal of herd management is to hold the attention of young hunters? If that is the case, I would have never stuck with deer hunting since I started in 1978. There were very few deer and most people who sent in licenses to the drawing got buck only tags. I prayed for an any sex tag so that I had a better chance of getting meat in the freezer. I'm not saying I want to go back to that era/populations, just saying that everything needs to be put in perspective. What is the deer population that the majority of Iowans think is acceptable?

So you are saying you are not ready to go back to that era and deer population...... Newsflash....we are quickly headed there. Our population at the end of this season is going to be estimated at 160, 000. Our neighbor states ...Missouri for example have 1.5 million in their deer herd ...Ours again by season end will be approximately 160, 000. Do you see problem?? Only we can make a difference..dnr and legisgators don't care!!!

So you are saying you are not ready to go back to that era and deer population...... Newsflash....we are quickly headed there. Our population at the end of this season is going to be estimated at 160, 000. Our neighbor states ...Missouri for example have 1.5 million in their deer herd ...Ours again by season end will be approximately 160, 000. Do you see problem?? Only we can make a difference..dnr and legisgators don't care!!!
What I'm saying is that we are close to being back to the mid 1980's already, whether I like it or not.

Also saying that why should a small percentage (hunters) of the population of Iowa mandate what the deer herd should be? (whether I like the results or not).

The presentation of other states statistics is a diversion.

It's not a diversion it's a reality.
There needs to be a proper balance in the deer numbers.
The heard is way too low.

Not saying I don't like big deer numbers but who are you guys to decide how big the herd should be? I hunt some places the deer numbers are way down. I hunt other places the deer numbers are roughly the same or up. Shouldn't hunting be for the challenge to kill a deer, buck or doe, not just see a ton of deer? It doesn't hurt to have to hunt a little harder for fewer deer. But I do not like the late antlerless season either...

800,000 to less than 200,000 where do you find theses numbers, is this accurate?

Top Bottom