Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Spraying enlist soybeans now

tall@wide

PMA Member
My enlist beans came in sparse due to heavy browsing. I have some broadleafs and grass coming in now. The beans are starting to flower and I wonder if you can spray them with 2, 4-d and/or roundup even though they are flowering? Or is it better just to ride the weeds out at this point?

My enlist beans came in sparse due to heavy browsing. I have some broadleafs and grass coming in now. The beans are starting to flower and I wonder if you can spray them with 2, 4-d and/or roundup even though they are flowering? Or is it better just to ride the weeds out at this point?
To me, the 24d is harder on beans than liberty or roundup. You can tell right away after you spray enlist, the beans wilt. If it were me, I would spray a quart of roundup, a quart of liberty, and 3 #'s of ams per acre. I wouldn't let the weeds go. A lot of years we have sprayed either liberty or roundup on field edges from late pressure and never noticed any yield difference.

Agree with above!!!!
What kind of weeds btw & what’s the height? Gly & glufosinate is pure fire on most weeds though!!!

It is mostly grass 6 inches and some other broadleafs scattered like cocklebur..My main concern is spraying the beans with flowers on them. In the past I've been told it kills the flowers. Since it's a food plot I'll just spray, mainly to knock the grass out. Thanks

It is mostly grass 6 inches and some other broadleafs scattered like cocklebur..My main concern is spraying the beans with flowers on them. In the past I've been told it kills the flowers. Since it's a food plot I'll just spray, mainly to knock the grass out. Thanks
Grass & cockleburs…. Gly is the best thing you could spray for those 2!!! Heavy gly alone would probably be just fine.

To be honest I screwed up my bean plots this year. I’m no farmer. Could sly or 1983 outline a planting regiment ie type of beans to buy, pre emergence spray and post emergence spray. Thanks in advance.

To be honest I screwed up my bean plots this year. I’m no farmer. Could sly or 1983 outline a planting regiment ie type of beans to buy, pre emergence spray and post emergence spray. Thanks in advance.
For post emergence I know a lot of farmers use Volunteer. It is clethodim and kills "volunteer" corn that comes up from prior year along with any grasses. Needs a crop oil. Also a lot of guys will plant round up ready soybeans, so just spray round up after 21 days or so. The longer you wait, the more the weeds overtake and shade out your soybeans.

I am a full time farmer so this program might not be feasible for food plots on a smaller scale. We plant enlist traited beans. A couple of days before planting we spray our preemerge. Our preemerge we spray 5 oz of sonic, a quart of power max 3(roundup), and 12 to 16 ounces of lv6 plus an adjuvant/water conditioner. Plant straight into that. Somewhere around 21 to 30 days later we spray our post. Our post was a quart of enlist 40 ounces of liberty 3#s of dry ams, 48 ounces of warrant and 10 ounces of clethodim. This program was lights out.

Last edited:
I could have sworn 1983 had a formula for a time spray. I know that’s hard to do but I thought I read that not long ago

I am a full time farmer so this program might not be feasible for food plots on a smaller scale. We plant enlist trained beans. A couple of days before planting we spray our preemerge. Our preemerge we spray 5 oz of sonic, a quart of power max 3(roundup), and a pint to 16 ounces of lv6 plus an adjuvant/water conditioner. Plant straight into that. Somewhere around 21 to 30 days later we spray our post. Our post was a quart of enlist 40 ounces of liberty 3#s of dry ams, 48 ounces of warrant and 10 ounces of clethodim. This program was lights out.
What’s your application per gallon of water?

Nrharris, I like the looks of that plan. With that program do you know if you can overseed rye into soybeans and it will grow?

Nrharris, I like the looks of that plan. With that program do you know if you can overseed rye into soybeans and it will grow?
I don't know for sure, but I would think the rye would grow fine as long as the warrant was sprayed early enough in the year. Label says 30 days of control, but couldn't find any plant back intervals when I skimmed the label. If you spayed your post at the end of June to very beginning of July and seeded rye late August, I would think your residual would be toast by then.

Top Bottom