Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Taylor's first deer !!

CamoMan

BigDoe.jpg

Hey gang, I'm very excited. My 11-year old son, Taylor, got his first deer Friday afternoon. Until about a month ago, I wasn't even planning on having him muzzleloader hunt, but he asked to shoot it one afternoon, and I found out he was a pretty good shot.

We were hunting a cornfield, and expected the deer to enter it from a timber point in front of us in about an hour. However 10 minutes after settling in a large tree stand in an old cottonwood tree, 5 deer showed up about 125 yards to our left. They quickly worked their way in front of us about 75 yards out, and we saw that one was a decent buck. Taylor wasn't able to get into position to shoot before the buck went over the terrace, and three of the four does quickly followed. The last one noticed us, but hung around long enough to give Taylor a broadside shot at 70 yards, and he made a perfect shot. The doe went over the hill, and we found her within 100 yards. She was a very large doe, and one guy who weighs a lot of deer thought she would weigh at least 160 pounds.

Talk about getting excited . . . (oh yeah, my son was too). We had a video camera with us, and I took some footage of the deer coming in, and of Taylor shooting. It was difficult, because I was trying to stay with the deer, and help my son at the same time. The footage is jerky, but you can tell that we were both pumped after the shot. I love my boy beyond description, and I am 100% proud of him. It wouldn't have changed if he had missed, but I was especially proud of how he took responsibility for 'his deer'. I didn't have to teach him the 'you shot it - you gut it' philosophy, and he even jumped in and helped skin and butcher it.

Well, I gotta go now . . . Taylor's deer steaks are done cooking and ready to eat !

Congrats! I remember my first deer..it was a rush...Hopefully many more still to come

GREAT Story and Pic, the smile on his face says it all. I cannot wait for my chitlins to be old enough to experience an opportunity like that one. I think you gained a hunting buddy for life with that one.

Great story, congrats to both dad and son!!
smile.gif

My oldest will be 11 next fall and I can see him doing something very similar. It looks like you have a hunting buddy for the next several years!!

Camo man, thats gotta make you feel pretty good!, nice to see you gave you son a chance, im sure you supplied him with many memories!

Congratulations to both of you! Brings back fond memories of my son's and daughter's first deer. I think you will really enjoy that video and even more so as more and more time passes. Way to go!

Old Buck

Sounds like your son is going to be hooked on hunting like the rest of us after that experience. Glad you got to enjoy it with him, I will always remember my first deer with my dad by my side. Congradulations!!!!!!!!

As the saying goes " It can't get no better." unless maybe, just maybe if you could be with him and his son when it happens for them. We need more Dads, not fathers.

Thanks for the great comments. I just wanted to add one thing so there are no doubts. Yes, we were wearing our blaze orange for the hunt. Probably should have had one photo with that included, but I really like this pic the best. I think I'll edit it a little to clean it up, and make it into an 8 x 10 for Taylor (and me). The original photo is much more clear, and has great detail.

Top Bottom