Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Thoughts on when this youngster was born?

203ntyp

PMA Member
Date and time are correct, mom must have been bred last April as small as it is?

Youngster.JPG

FWIW, we had at least two fawns last fall that were especially small. Still spotted until at least into late October. I feel like they probably dropped in July or even well into August. I believe the whitetail gestation period is about 6-1/2'ish months, 200'ish days. So a February or March conception date could get you there I would think.

Also, my son saw a decent buck with a half rack still last Friday...so April is not out of the question IMO.

I had a few fawns on cams going into winter that seemed very small. Mildish winter, they should have survived.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There could be lots of other factors on why this deer is small other than when it was born. I seriously doubt a doe was bred in april.... Did it get the nutrients it needed at the time it needed? Did it's mother get killed before it was fully weined? Bad genetics?

Litters of pigs always have at least one or more that is tiny. The same litter contains piglets that are twice the size of others, so that they look like they aren't from the same litter.

That deer made it through the winter, ... It survived, it's just a runt. Probably catch up this year and you'll never know.

There could be lots of other factors on why this deer is small other than when it was born. I seriously doubt a doe was bred in april.... Did it get the nutrients it needed at the time it needed? Did it's mother get killed before it was fully weined? Bad genetics?

Litters of pigs always have at least one or more that is tiny. The same litter contains piglets that are twice the size of others, so that they look like they aren't from the same litter.

That deer made it through the winter, ... It survived, it's just a runt. Probably catch up this year and you'll never know.
Still has spots, so I'd lean towards a late dropper before 'runt'.

I thought it looked like spots at first too, but after looking closer I'm guessing they are burs. Not real sure though.

Top Bottom