Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

THUNK!!!!

Fishbonker

Life Member
Took my first bow shot at a deer last evening. I've got anterless tags for Linn County. This was the first deer that came close enought to actually take a shot at. It was what appeared to be a yearling doe that was walking with another doe of the same size. They "appeared" at about 1700 with sunset at 1703. At 1715 she was finally close enough to draw and it seemed like I held draw foreever and it was getting darker every second. I was going to let her go because it was so hard to see. Then she stepped between two trees that framed her vitals perfectly and if I missed I'd hit the tree. Hit the release and THUNK, I'll never forget the sound of my carbon arrow as it it the tree. The doe I shot at bounded about 50 yards away and stopped. The trailing doe just stood there so I racked up another arrow and though better of it. I sat up there for a few extra minutes hopeing she would wander off, but I finally climbed down and chased her off. Even though it was unsuccessful, I'll always remeber that first shot. I don't know what happened to the arrow I can't imagine that a carbob arrow could take that. I could see it stuck in the tree, but by the time I climbed down it was too dark to go look.

Better luck today.

The 'bonker

Bonker, are you hunting the special Squaw Creek Hunt, or are you hunting private land..I hunted the Squaw Creek Hunt earlier this season, the weather would not co-operate better luck later in the season as I go back again. Good luck, this should be a great week to be hanging in a stand.

I've got Metro and Linn County. I have a friend who has land very close to the Hennesy Quarry so I thought I'd try for a couple of does up there. Only been up twice. First day was way too windy and second day they were cutting wood very close (less than 50 yards) to my stand. I wanted to keep the does in my back yard to keep the buck intrested that has been ripping the snot outa my trees. His scrapes are huge and the licking branches are above my head. Haven't seen him yet, and probably won't. Very heavy hunting pressure around here. South of Mt. Vernon on Hwy. 1.

Good luck.

The 'Bonker

I am suprised as well at the impact carbon arrows can take. When sighting in my bow this year I shot an arrow directly into the steel post that holds up my stand. Very loud, and I expected to find a splintered carbon arrow, but it didn't effect it at all.

Top Bottom