Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Top 10 Fishing Violations

blake

Life Member
NEWS:

Top 10 Fishing Violations

April 28th, 2009

The latest list of the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources’ (DNR) “Top Ten Fishing Violations” is a reminder to anglers to follow the rules and refer to the 2009 Minnesota Fishing Regulations handbook as the state’s fishing season gets underway May 9.

Conservation officers issued 3,115 citations and 4,727 warnings to resident and non-resident anglers last year, which is comparable to past fishing seasons.

Topping the list of the most-frequent violation is not having a fishing license in possession.

This violation resulted in conservation officers issuing 2,259 warnings or 240 citations last year to resident and non-resident anglers.

Number two on the list is having no fishing license at all. Conservation officers issued 925 citations and 399 warnings last year.

Some other ranked categories that made the list of frequent fishing violations include:

Improperly/not marked fish house

Fishing with an extra line

Overlimit

Unattended line

Exceed length limit

Fish house left on ice after deadline

Closed season

Under length limit

“There is still a need for education since these seem to be the most common violations encountered by conservation officers year after year,” said Col. Jim Konrad, DNR Enforcement chief. “Sometimes the excitement of ‘wetting a line’ causes anglers to be forgetful or take shortcuts.”

An annual Minnesota resident fishing license costs $17; a non-resident license $39.50.

re

call me tough or whatever, but I don't see any point to issuing a person a warning when they clearly have no fishing license. That should be the easiest citation to write. How the heck and why the heck did the DNR "bonk" on 399 instances last year?

There are either lazy officers, extra nice officers, or some combination of the two.

How much is the fine for not having a fishing license? Times that by 400 and that's how much money the DNR decided they didn't need last year...and to think they want to raise our licenses to offset economical shortfalls. Here's an idea, how about they try helping themselves first.

The only think I can think of is 399 blondes in bikini's...otherwise I'm not really sure why they let so many people go who were clearly breaking the law.

Is there a unattended line law in Iowa? If so what is considered unattended? I like to throw out a bobber then walk the shore throwing a jig or a crankbait.

Top Bottom