Tordon question.....

bowman

Super Moderator
One of my landowners has asked me to help her cut and kill a bunch of Locust trees that have grown up in her pasture. Most are out in the open but several are close to some very mature oak trees. She has already bought the Tordon and wants me to start this spring.

Two questions.

1. Can Tordon be sprayed through a pump sprayer or is it best to use the bottle with the applicator tip? (trying to save my back....lots to cut)

2. How much worry is there when using Tordon on trees in close proximity to the oak trees? If this is a concern, what is a safe distance from the Oaks that I can use the Tordon.

Thanks in advance for the advice!:way:

Tordon (AI is called picloram) is very mobile in the soil! Use cation when applying this around valued trees.

Also, do the target trees need to be on the ground/cut down? You could girdle them with a chainsaw (leave them standing) and then apply your herbicide to the cut. This method is much less labor intensive.

Last edited:
You could girdle them with a chainsaw (leave them standing) and then apply your hebicide to the cut. This method is much less labor intensive.

Or cut them & paint the stump with Tordon RTU. Safer for peripheral trees that you don't want to kill.

Have you ever run an excavator? They work great to remove even small trees, get one with a thumb on it and you can pluck them right out of the ground very easily. When you consider the time it saves you it's not that expensive. It saved me a lot of work when I did the samething you are talking about.

1. Yes it can be used in a pump sprayer, I do it all the time. If the sprayer comes with multiple tips use the one that sprayes in a stream it works the best.

2. I have never had a problem with killing trees other than the target. The key is to only use enough chemical to completely cover the actively growing outside inch or so of the cut tree, (cambium sp?). Doesn't take much at all as long as you get complete coverage of the growth ring.

1. Yes it can be used in a pump sprayer, I do it all the time. If the sprayer comes with multiple tips use the one that sprayes in a stream it works the best.

2. I have never had a problem with killing trees other than the target. The key is to only use enough chemical to completely cover the actively growing outside inch or so of the cut tree, (cambium sp?). Doesn't take much at all as long as you get complete coverage of the growth ring.

Agreed.

My earlier post didn't address your question Bowman, my apologies.

Be carefull its getting late enough in the yr rain will wash it off. If its close to a tree you want the runoff is enough to damage or kill the tree next to it. Ive got away with putting a can over cut off stumps in windbreaks after dopeing the stump.

You can also use Pathfinder II. It works much like Tordon and Pathway but does a lot

less collateral damage to trees next to them. Price is about the same.

I think a Skid loader with a tree puller would be best if you could get one! We have an 80horse gehl at our farm with a puller and we pull 8-10 cedars all the time with it!!

Thanks for the advice guys! Unfortunately, my options will only be chainsaw and stump killer and not heavier equipment. I'll have to look into the Pathrinder II.

Once the sap starts flowing your chemical is less effective i have been told. Work best accomplish in the dead of winter. Just some food for thought.

Once the sap starts flowing your chemical is less effective i have been told. Work best accomplish in the dead of winter. Just some food for thought.

I dont recommend this but there usually is a time right after sap flow that

you can girdle or knock them down also.

Usually it is a lot greener and hotter but it can be done.

Back